Sun Life - It's true what they say about 'life under the sun.' Work here is: enriching, fulfilling, and challenging. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

"It's true what they say about 'life under the sun.' Work here is: enriching, fulfilling, and challenging."

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Sun Life part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No salary cap.
Excellent business support.
Excellent training and development program.
Excellent benefits package.
Excellent incentives and compensation framework.
Reputability and exclusivity.
Professionalism and camaraderie
No foreseeable age limit.

Cons

Commission based.
On call 24/7 for client needs and requirements.
Public perception as to importance of Insurance products and mutual funds.
Inherent product challenges.

Advice to Management

Strengthen online training framework for advisors who are employed/have day jobs.
Continue to be receptive to change and suggestions.
Reinforce current meritocracy based culture.

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life

1. "Good employer, offices located throughout Canada and the world. ."

Current Employee - Group Benefits in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Group Benefits in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great employees, definitely the Group Benefits technology leader. Employees can submit all Extended Health and Dental claims online and direct deposit into your bank account.

Cons

Do not listen to their employees concerns. Benefits are average, disability benefits are Taxable, which means that if you go onto disability your benefit payment is taxable therefore less then what you anticipated. A non-taxable disability benefit taxes the premiums paid and the benefit amount you expected, not tax deduction taken during you disability.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees maybe their is value in their concerns. Good strong, mentally at the job makes a strong team and happy employees.

"Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life"

Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Financing of Certifications, Conferences and other educational activities
    - Free breakfast/lunch during quarterly meetings

Cons

- Terrible work-life balance:
       1) my boss wouldn't let me use my personal cell phone to text my family, not even during the 30 seconds that it took to walk from my desk to the bathroom - a time when I clearly couldn't be doing work-related stuff.
       2) while I was there, their working-from-home policy got more and more strict. People who used to work from home 2x/week (because they lived far away) were called to work in the office 5x/week.
       3) You get 10 days vacation and it only goes up to 12 days after you've worked with them for 2 years.
    - If you're an immigrant, don't expect them to help you fit in the Canadian work culture. No one ever told me if or what I was doing wrong, how I needed to act, if I should change, etc.
    - There is no knowledge sharing culture. They have people who are specialists in each area or system, and nothing is written down. Only one person knows the information about one system. If the specialist goes on vacation and you need information about that system, too bad for you. You have to wait for that person to come back (and meanwhile you get 2 weeks behind your schedule).

Advice to Management

- Start investing in knowledge sharing before it's too late. Get a KS specialist and have them show you how much money you are already losing by not doing it. You will be surprised.
    - Create a program to support employees who are new to Canada and to educate their managers. Help them see and understand each other's differences. You will continue to loose top talent, because you are failing to see how much they can contribute to your company.
    - Learn how to manage remote work. It is a worldwide tendency. It helps people keep a good work-life balance and avoid the long stressful commutes (especially in Toronto).