Sun Life - Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

"Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life"

Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Financing of Certifications, Conferences and other educational activities
- Free breakfast/lunch during quarterly meetings

Cons

- Terrible work-life balance:
   1) my boss wouldn't let me use my personal cell phone to text my family, not even during the 30 seconds that it took to walk from my desk to the bathroom - a time when I clearly couldn't be doing work-related stuff.
   2) while I was there, their working-from-home policy got more and more strict. People who used to work from home 2x/week (because they lived far away) were called to work in the office 5x/week.
   3) You get 10 days vacation and it only goes up to 12 days after you've worked with them for 2 years.
- If you're an immigrant, don't expect them to help you fit in the Canadian work culture. No one ever told me if or what I was doing wrong, how I needed to act, if I should change, etc.
- There is no knowledge sharing culture. They have people who are specialists in each area or system, and nothing is written down. Only one person knows the information about one system. If the specialist goes on vacation and you need information about that system, too bad for you. You have to wait for that person to come back (and meanwhile you get 2 weeks behind your schedule).

Advice to Management

- Start investing in knowledge sharing before it's too late. Get a KS specialist and have them show you how much money you are already losing by not doing it. You will be surprised.
- Create a program to support employees who are new to Canada and to educate their managers. Help them see and understand each other's differences. You will continue to loose top talent, because you are failing to see how much they can contribute to your company.
- Learn how to manage remote work. It is a worldwide tendency. It helps people keep a good work-life balance and avoid the long stressful commutes (especially in Toronto).

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life

"Everything that shines ain't always gold"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and supportive but it is all an act.

Cons

They obviously only want one thing from you, sales.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap and at least give a base salary + comm, not just commission alone.

"Management Tenure prevents others from succeeding"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart driven colleagues
    Nice work environment (new build)

Cons

Management consists of many old folks clubbers - they have been there 20-35 years and tehy want you to know it. They have fortified to protect each other.
    Bad unprofessional behviour by male colleagues who intimidate female colleagues (who they do not want to work with) - and the behaviour is protected by managers who have friendships with these males. An old boys club for sure although they profess to including women. But all women in high positions are tenured (20-30 years) and do not want younger females displacing them.

Advice to Management

shake up your managers - do a 360 review on them and find out what the worker bees are really thinking