Sun Life - I worked here as a software developer on a short term contract | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

"I worked here as a software developer on a short term contract"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Wellesley, MA
Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is fast-paced, accommodating, and comfortable. Development teams don't face some of the stress that I've seen at other companies, because A) major decisions are made by people who are experienced in the field and don't impose unrealistic deadlines on unrealistic requirements, B) in the same vein, tasks are delegated equally and efficiently, C) the technology infrastructure is well-built

Cons

Not much to say here since my experience was short term and with one team out of who knows how many. Many team members are offshore, so the scheduling can be kind of a pain. But the effort is made on everybody's part to be punctual for teleconferences and to stay on the same page.

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life

1. "A great company to work for...until they exit the business"

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co workers, fair pay. A good place to start at the bottom and grow. Treated people very fairly when they laid off 800 people.

Cons

Management was out of touch with upper management (Toronto). There was little to no opportunity to advance for some one mid career.

2. "Incompetence, inefficient management, in a Mad Men-like environment"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wellesley, MA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life as a contractor

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any reason I'd ever suggest an intelligent person to go work there.

Cons

I was at Sun Life on a short contract, and was very disappointed with my experience. I was worked to the bone, never allowed my legal breaks and was questioned when I left to take even a half-hour lunch. My experience and expertise was constantly questioned, and I felt like asking why they even hired me.

Advice to Management

Advice to Canada: come to the US. Evaluate your management - from AVP's to general managers. You will find major problems. Moral is very low; something needs to be done.