Sun Microsystems - Good place to work for, despite some unneeded bureaucracy at management level | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Microsystems

"Good place to work for, despite some unneeded bureaucracy at management level"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Easy Job, not too much pressure. If you are not too career-focused you can stay there forever without working too hard. Good benefits, good colleagues, good fun, great technology products!

Cons

Very unclear career path, inconsistent quality of Senior Managers. Too focused on revenue reporting, not enough on profit margins.

Advice to Management

Cut the middle management bureaucracy - continue on delivering outstanding value to customers

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Microsystems

1. "Once-legendary company is still not too far off the mark."

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

In general the company is comprised of smart, motivated people working with interesting technology. The company shows a respect for job flexibility and family needs. And the stock can only go up from here. Well, mostly up from here. OK, maybe it can still go down, but there's a lot more room above than below!

Cons

Stagnant stock price has limited non-salary compensation. Years of cost-cutting have left too few people doing too much work with too small of budgets.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people - unlock some of the cash-on-hand to let us deliver on what we've started. Stop milking the cash cows and invest in some of the more promising technologies.

2. "Flatten the management structure."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Monrovia, CA

Pros

Very bright people. Open Work program is fantastic, allows you to work any time any where.

Cons

Stock price continues to drop. Lots of layers of management. Above director level, the managers don't seem necessary, I don't know what it buys us. For example, I don't know what Rich Green does. He is Executive Vice President of Software, but I have no clue what he does that affects the products we deliver. He just seems to be the person who talks to the press to present a vision. That current vision is simply we must go open source. With that we'll have more people trying our software, and some will buy support. But within the organization I have to no clue how he helps other than making mandates like: you must be open source.

Advice to Management

Eliminate levels of management, I don't see what the many levels of management do. Several layers of management above the director level should be eliminated. Flatten the organization.