Sun Microsystems - Great place to work if family comes first in your life! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Microsystems

"Great place to work if family comes first in your life!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent work / life balance!

Cons

The company is dispersed - you often don't know what others are doing; as a result efforts can be unintentionally doubled.

Advice to Management

Work from home is the best benefit at Sun - encourage people to use it!

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Microsystems

1. "Work at Sun and be able to work from anywhere"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Flexible work place, including working from home, is a solid part of the culture. They fully support it. While other companies are trying to figure out ways of keeping their employees on campus with things like free meals or laundry, or...whatever else will remove any reason to leave campus, Sun understands about life/work balance.
    They fully support working from home now and again. I can go into the office, then leave later in the day to work from home, or work from home all day...no special permission needed. They provide direct tie-ins to the company's servers so that
    my desktop at home is exact;y like my desktop at work...because it is the same.
    While other's are slaves in the company ship, Sun has freed their employees of the bondage of the day to day office.
    I'll take that anday...I can do my own laundry and make my own lunch.

Cons

The stock movement isn't making anyone rich right now. The cafeteria doesn't have the best food, but when you can work so easily from home, that matters little. There are some who would say its a culture in transition, which I would agree with.
    If you're a fan of the old culture, which was more of a maverick type, "lets take on the world", you might miss that part of it.
    The newer culture is still highly motivated but less adversarial about competitors...a good thing in my opinion.
    Regardless, though, its little concern, to most who embrace the new culture.

Advice to Management

Don't fire me! I love it here!!

2. "Sun - a great place to be an engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Sun is an engineering company, and they treat their engineering staff very, very well. Smart people and a collaborative, sharing environment. Engineers get a great deal of respect. And a pretty decent pay package as well.

Cons

Sun is an engineering company. If you're not an engineer, you might end up feeling a little left out. Also, the annual layoffs are a bit off-putting - though as a mitigation, the separation package is probably the best in the industry.

Advice to Management

Marketing matters. $5 million dollars to develop a product, followed by $25k to promote it, may not be the best use of resources.