Sun Microsystems of Canada - It has been a good place to work but who knows what the future holds under Oracle? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Microsystems of Canada

"It has been a good place to work but who knows what the future holds under Oracle?"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Technical Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)

Pros

I work with some great people and have been involved in some fascinating projects. Once you master the bureaucracy (and accept it's weirdness), you can get a lot done if you are working in a technical role. Compensation is very fair, and the work from home option has been wonderful - I have never been more productive in a job.

Cons

It seems likely that Oracle is going to dismantle huge parts of Sun which of course will have a direct effect on Sun Canada. I think we will become a true branch office with little local management. A significant layoff is expected.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for the soon-to-be irrelevant leadership at Sun Canada.

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Microsystems of Canada

1. "Wish I worked here in the late 80s and early 90s!"

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

Pros

Amazing place to learn, everything is open, very smart colleagues.

Cons

Depressing financial results, acquisition by Oracle, lack of clear roadmap to success

Advice to Management

Nothing much to say now with the Oracle acquisition, is there?

2. "Once great, even after the dot.com bust but the wheels have finally come off. Too bad I still own a ton of stock!"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Relaxed corporate culture. Work/Life balance is great. Market competitive benefits.

As for people, some of the greatest minds in the business work at Sun. The company still hangs on to some of the fun corporate culture of the dot.com days.

Cons

Relaxed corporate culture.

Management lacks focus and has poor record of execution. Too many decisions are made at the same time without thought of how they may impact one another. The company sometimes competes with itself and ends up losing to the competition.

Poor morale due to continued layoffs.
    Poor investment in internal IT contributes to morale problem.
    Poor communication and lack of cohesive teamwork.

Advice to Management

Take decisive action, manage the business and stay the course. The company continues to waffle with its strategy and lacks commitment to direction.