Sun-Sentinel - not trying hard enough | Glassdoor

"not trying hard enough"

Former Employee - Editorial in South Florida, FL
Former Employee - Editorial in South Florida, FL

Pros

freedom to do work on your own ideas and work with very talented people.

Cons

set in the old ways... dictated by a corporate structure 1500 miles away. We made all the money and they spent it so fast that the company had to be sold....Zell (new owner)is trying but they (staff) still don't get it.

Advice to Management

open your eyes and move fast on new ideas. you have good people. Ask them how to reinvent the business..This is a seat of the pants feeling....... they are not teaching this stuff in school...

Other Employee Reviews for Sun-Sentinel

"My experience was great right up until the point at which my job was eliminated, after 20 years of excellent reviews."

I worked at Sun-Sentinel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was great until about 2007. Lots of resources, lots of support, lots of room for creativity and self-motivation. Happiest I've ever been professionally was at the Sun-Sentinel. Then I was tossed from the 10th floor.

Cons

I can't think of a single one, except that my job disappeared. At least I wasn't lonely as I was swept out the door. Two or three hundred other competent journalists were encouraged to find other employment.

Advice to Management

Hire some journalists. Your product is a shadow of what it was even three years ago. it looks like a shopper, not a newspaper, and your remaining journalists are working themselves to death.

2. "Good paper gone down the tubes"

Former Employee - Reporter in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Reporter in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Sun-Sentinel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Sun Sentinel was a growing, thriving, expanding paper when I joined the staff but due to the dying industry the quality of the product has plummeted.

Cons

All of the experienced reporters have been laid off or left for greener pastures and what's left are young, inexperienced staff who will work for peanuts. Paper is moving out of Ft, Lauderdale and won't even have a presence in the city it covers.

Sun-Sentinel Response

Dec 13, 2016 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your feedback. While many are focused on the challenges the industry faces, we believe the Sun-Sentinel has a tremendous opportunity to capture. While the ... More