SunGard - Fragmented consulting practice | Glassdoor

"Fragmented consulting practice"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

The unit I worked in had lots of bright people who cared a lot about their work- but started to slide downhill soon after I joined. People were more than willing to lend a hand and teach, and quite fun to be around.

Cons

Attrition was significant during the time I was there. People (including myself) left for greener pastures, on the whole, so I've got to think that the Sungard experience was solid as a stepping stone.

The company, during my time there and as far as I could see, was an amalgam of separate, small business units who didn't communicate much even though they worked on similar things.

Advice to Management

Paying below-market wage contributed to attrition, as did a promotion/bonus system that was not transparent. Since I've left, I think progress has been made in the business unit I was with towards working with other parts of the firm.

Other Employee Reviews for SunGard

"A tragic result of one of the largest tech LBOs."

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Very easy to outperform your peers if you show a minimal amount of motivation. The company has connections at all major financial firms and can provide solutions to cope with a wide range of risks.

Cons

Expectations are set so low that employees are not driven to perform their best. Management in place is solely a function of tenure and not based on ability. Many upset clients due to poor follow-through on implementations, lofty promises that were never fulfilled, and buggy software.

Advice to Management

Set compensation inline with accomplishments. Place more stress on making clients happy as the number one goal, rather than making the budget. Set appropriate expectations to all levels of the business - employees, current clients, and prospective clients.

"Unethical and Incompetent Management at SIMS"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lombard, IL

Pros

A handful of quality employees remain. They were somehow sucked in and are disillusioned enough to stay in an effort to somehow make it better. But they will be hitting a wall as long as completely incompetent and unethical mgmt walk the halls.

Cons

Management across the board are unbelievably incompetent. They have zero software industry knowledge and it shows in every breath they take. They bank on the fact that it would cost millions for a client to migrate to a competing product, so all development is half ass at best. Thousands of serious software bugs that are closed as soon as they are logged citing 'no interest', 'no resources'. As though they were never recreated, and never existed. No upfront analysis by experienced BAs No detailed code models. Zip. Run from this company - it will ruin you forever.

Advice to Management

Please resign and move on to something, anything you may be good at in another industry. Clients would leave in droves if they knew how unethical you are. That the corrupt software is a direct reflection of your inability to understand the software industry - and how to run a legitamate financial services company with integrity.