SunTrust - Only thing worse than a bad culture is a complacent one" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SunTrust

"Only thing worse than a bad culture is a complacent one""

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nobody will notice if you slack off. I come in at 9am and leave at 5pm. Everyday. Really like my coworkers (most of the time). If you value spending more time at home than work and don't mind a pay cut then this is the place for you. People act like they care. If you're a southern, conservative male WASP this is your paradise.

Cons

Bare-bones, cost cutting at all the way. Accountability does not exist. Very male "good guy" culture. I see men getting ahead at the company a lot faster than women and in general they seem to get more respect. There is no momentum in a single direction, more like fragmented choruses singing the same story "we're getting better, we're getting better." My first boss was disorganized and bullied me. My second boss played favorites and couldn't be direct. On your in-balance you will have to "rate yourself" and then watch management go back and "force fit" the rankings to that only a few people get decent "raises" (less than $5,000). That's called a cost of living adjustment to barely keep up with inflation, not a RAISE.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching improvement this, improvement that. Just make things better and stop the bureaucratic process insanity. Start treating women with professional and intellectual respect. Pick one thing you want to be the best at in the market and do that. Being mediocre at everything is miserable.

Other Employee Reviews for SunTrust

1. "SunTrust was an ok experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, GA

I worked at SunTrust part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was an ok experience

Cons

Sales goals were a little high especially with the economy.

Advice to Management

Should focus too much on the numbers.

2. "Teller at SunTrust"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Bethesda, MD

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at three different locations. Generally speaking I enjoyed my time there and thought the people were very friendly. SunTrust reimbursed us for any extra driving and provided food at regional meetings, and we got free t shirts in the second year I worked there. and they throw company parties every year. I got vacation time whenever I needed it and an extra week or two was no big deal. Benefits were amazing. they have a generous matched 401k program.

Cons

There were certain things that very seriously annoyed me. For instance, when they can't make their numbers (meet their goals) certain managers will get REALLY pushy and will stress you out and micromanage. But that's only with my first manager. My other manager in Bethesda, Md was much nicer and relaxed. He took a lot of heat from upper management to meet sales goals but didn't pass it on to us. The other thing that annoyed me was how much time they spend in meetings. We had a meeting every Monday. and then we had one the day after holidays and we had one for every new product. and we had one whenever our service scores were low. and we had one sometimes for "emergency situations" I think that the excessive meetings were a response to failing the government's bank stress test but still very inconvenient. and we often had to stay late which didn't bother me, but with people who had kids it was extremely frustrating. The pay was about par to other banks and conservative for the industry.