Sunbelt Rentals - Excellent employer | Glassdoor

"Excellent employer"

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent safety culture. Always working with the knowledge that business is cyclical.

Cons

Geographic constraints and limited upward mobility after a certain point.

Other Employee Reviews for Sunbelt Rentals

"It is a staedy job for those who dont like to be noticed, just fly under the radar and colect a paycheck."

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Current sales employees are treated excellent. Given a tremendous amount. from the company. Other positions are available but with minimum to no recognition or amenities. Steady paycheck.

Cons

To much buddy system promotions and advancements to under qualified personnel. Leadership is poor. No mentoring of any kind. Poor upper management convinced that sweeping under the rug is better then corrective action. Retirement is poor unless your upper management. The american middle class worker can not retire from this company comfortably.

Advice to Management

"Building relationships with employees is just as important as building relationships with customers"

"Use to be a great place to work! Not so much anymore."

Former Employee - Safety Manager
    Former Employee - Safety Manager

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the largest rental companies in North America, and when including the parent company in the UK Sunbelt is part of the largest rental organizations in the world. There is no lack of work and since MOST locations are in major markets seldom are there times when workers do not get at least some overtime. There are hundreds of locations around the USA so there are opportunities in most major cities.

Cons

Because Sunbelt is such a large organization, and because there is a serious lack of appreciation for their non-senior management employees, employees are often "just a number". Due to it's size and the "employer's market" they tend to underpay their employees.

The organization allows tyrannical upper managers to consistently over work their employees and make them work under conditions which are inconsistent and often makes personal success impossible. Complaints to HR and upper management about employees being mistreated by department-heads go completely ignored (to say "we are looking into this" and then do NOTHING about it is ignoring the issue).

Additionally, Sunbelt is still using the "the economy is still soft and uncertain" argument to underpay their employees. Most employees still have not had a raise since the economy crashed in 2008, despite the fact that Sunbelt has continued to see record profits year after year. Not to mention what they pay the CEO in relation to employees in middle management and below.

There is little to no life-balance, especially in the "specialty" divisions where employees are expected to "jump" whenever and always... no matter what!

As a [former] employee of over a decade, I personally witnessed Sunbelt change from a great place to work, to being a "sweat shop". Where Sunbelt use to be a company that recognized that every man and woman are out to build their own dreams, and they use to recognize that sometimes it's worth it to spend a little to make sure employees are happy. Now, employee moral is as low as ever and that doesn't seem to matter to upper management at all.

Advice to Management

Upper management should consider to actually value their employees and be concerned for their work environment. Upper management should also consider that not everyone eats, drinks, breaths and lives to make money, and while that may be a positive trait for leaders, money isn't THE motivating factor for everyone. Some folks actually care about enjoying their work environment.

And upper management should especially consider that their employees should not work (and live) in an environment of "you are lucky to have a job... [read into that "so sit down, shut up... and do two people's worth of work and be happy about it!"]. As a former employee I literally had my direct manager tell me word for word "You know... after all, we are all luck to have jobs". And this was told to me during my annual review (where ALL my numbers were vastly improved vs previous year).

Sunbelt employees had great hope when Brendan Horgan became CEO because he came up through the ranks and would make Sunbelt a great place to work once again. Sadly his term as CEO has not resulted in any improvement for worker moral, and has continued the trend of Sunbelt being a "big company" where employees are just another asset that can be disposed of as easily as a piece of equipment.