Sungard Availability Services - Sungard Technical Support | Glassdoor

"Sungard Technical Support"

Former Contractor - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
Former Contractor - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a technical support rep from 2007 to 2008. The IT team was knowledgeable IT professionals who helped to mentor and nurture my growth. They were great people to work with. A lot of responsibility was placed within the tech support level in terms of administrating very different systems. It was a good environment to learn a wide variety of skills and the IT managers were great in terms of fostering trust and support for the team.

Cons

I know Sungard has moved to Google mail platform now from Lotus Notes, but Lotus Notes was always a big headache both in terms of speed and the complex password system. Password rest was one of the most common supports calls. In terms of advancements, there really was not clear path for tech support reps which is one of the reasons I left. Also due to management changes, the environment had suffered. As last I had all tech support was outsourced, which I feel was a shame knowing how tech support once functioned.

Other Employee Reviews for Sungard Availability Services

"Decent Benefits but no room for advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are competitive and schedules are great. There is a level of autonomy and dress code is relaxed.

Cons

Policy changes almost daily and without formal documentation. Tools are substandard for a billion dollar company and management turnover is greater than engineer turnover. Promotion is rare as opportunities are scarce. This is due to the shipping of American jobs to India.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and go after it. Look at more successful companies and try to follow some of their examples. Kill the "Follow the sun" approach and bring jobs back to America!

"I had a great experience at SunGard my first 4.5 years. Then the company started to degrade."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401(k) Match
    Good Benefits
    Nice Data Centers
    Second to none knowledge of Disaster Recovery

Cons

Poor Client Service
    Poor Products
    Weak Management at C-Level
    Inadequate sales compensation

Advice to Management

Promote top management from within the ranks. It's impossible to run a company like SunGard without working in the day to day. Focus more on client needs and client satisfaction. Management needs to remember where their revenue is coming from. Improve getting good products to the market on time. SunGard has historically been late with offering such as Virtualization and Cloud.