Sungard Availability Services - Often choose the wrong people to lay off | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sungard Availability Services

"Often choose the wrong people to lay off"

Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance. Employees, in general, have passion for providing value, servie and solutions to customers.

Cons

Hopefully getting better. Last round of layoffs was the roughest yet. We cannot continue to cut to profitability.

Advice to Management

Maybe the Board should consider whether we have the right Executive leadership. We, in the front lines, are not convinced.

Other Employee Reviews for Sungard Availability Services

1. "Solutions Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

Great people to work with in the local groups. The people located in the Texas market are top notch.

Cons

Too many products to support. Management does not seem to be in sync with business objectives.

2. "Joining Sungard is the best career move a network engineer can make."

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sungard Employees - 'nuff said. :)

Experience - you will be working on multiple networks and every kind of network equipment out there: firewalls, load balancers, switches, routers, WAN acceleration devices, etc. You will take your career, skills and professional competency to a new level. You will be given all the responsibilty you can handle and will learn both the technical and the business side of IT. If you are a performance and results-oriented person, there is no limit to how far you can go in this company.

Compensation and Benefits - While everyone wants to make more money my salary is a little higher than most engineers in this area of the country. Add the fact that I get to work from home (Sungard is very much pro-telecommuting) and it is a slam dunk. The benefits, notably the medical benefits and the employee costs, are some of the best I've seen.

Formal Training - If you are responsible for a certain type of technology you will be trained on it and reimbursed for the certification tests that you pass.

Cons

- The expense reimbursement system needs to be overhauled. Most tend to avoid getting entangled in it and this results in far less face-to-face meetings with the customer by engineers.

Advice to Management

Allow much more interaction between the sales people and the engineers.