Sunrise Senior Living - The senior management is the worst. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

"The senior management is the worst."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are nice. Residents are demanding and self centered with a few exceptions.

Cons

Senior management changes like the seasons, so does the staff. The pay is low for what is expected of you. I was a coordinator and did not receive the proper tools to perform my duties, ie, short staffed all the time, no help with activities or dining services, or short staffed with care managers so we are stressed and over worked. Care managers were always short and slow to respond to residents. Some residents wait up,to 45 - 60 mins. Waiting for help,in the bathroom. The food is also a big issue. The cook always says it will get better, but it never does. The people are on low sodium diets but the kitchen does not cook special foods. It's all the same for everyone. The best thing is the grilled cheese. Supposed to be to notch. I wouldn't put my dog here, let alone my parents.

Advice to Management

The management is 2 faced and not steady. They bring new ED's from other communities who change all the coordinators and upset the residents, and then nothing gets better. Way too much change over in Depts. as well. Management is not friendly to residents or family members as well.

Other Employee Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

"Sunrise's vision to champion the quality of life for all Seniors changed what was a "job" into my career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had no idea I was interested in senior living when I applied to Sunrise. I started working and fell in love. Years later, I continue to love my career. At Sunrise, the residents come first. You are encouraged to spend time building relationships with the people who choose to live in your community. The culture in my community is that of a family. We support one another in hard times and celebrate with each other during the good times. There is always something fun happening around the community. You never get bored because there is always something to do. The management team is not perfect, but they try their best and really care about the team. I personally know that they do a lot of things for employees in need of help.

Cons

The hours are long and the expectations are high. There is a high chance for "burnout" when working for Sunrise.

Advice to Management

It would be great if there were protections in place for team members to avoid burnout and decrease turnover. I have known many great and talented team members who have left the company simply because of the work/life imbalance when working at Sunrise. This is especially needed for the salaried team members.

"HORRIBLEEEEE"

Former Employee - Medication Care Manager in Paoli, PA
    Former Employee - Medication Care Manager in Paoli, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the residents and my fellow care managers/ med techs and nurses.

Cons

Horrible pay and on top of that EVERY pay check is short hours and wages. Care level needs 7 care managers on the floor but we usually had 5 and sometimes even 4. The care managers that toilet residents also serve them food. Care managers are also expected to act as nurses if they are too busy or out of the building. The managers will help in the dinning room for 30 minutes if we are short and then tell the staff they dont understand why we complain its really not bad. There is one house keeper to the ENTIRE building who is only on 5 days a week. Benefits are a huge joke. The workers would actually look nicer if they were to wear scrubs because most of them can not afford to buy nice clothes due to the lack of pay and due to the type of work, they should not be required to wear nice clothes considering what they get on it.

Advice to Management

Switch all of the above. We are not a dime a dozen it costs alot of money to put us through a week of Sunrise U and a week of shadowing and not to mention to pay the teacher at Sunrise U. If you treated the employees right and had enough staff there would be less turn over and less training money would have to be put out each month.