"Nothing comparable"

Current Employee - Illustrator, Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Supercell full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can nitpick any professional situation, but in balance there’s no place like supercell for letting you succeed on your merits under your own initiative. In that sense it’s a dream opportunity. And in most other senses the company is just the best there is.

Cons

The difficulty with stunning success is trying to repeat and preserve it. It’s not a “con” really, but it is a lot to live up to.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

"Best place to work. Period."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Supercell full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing: people, games, culture, offices, benefits, food, travel, offsites, challenges, lack of management and opportunities to make an impact.

Cons

The biggest downside is that the center of gravity of Supercell is in Helsinki (the headquarters and where most people are) and Helsinki is really far from San Francisco. The difference in time zones further complicates communication. The upside is that you can go to Helsinki as often as you want and could even stay for several months, but for people with families/kids/other obligations that's not always easy to do. Also, the lack of structure and clear, defined tasks could be challenging or frustrating for some people (while amazing and inspiring for others).

"It sounds too good to be true. (but it is)"

I have been working at Supercell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Independence can be very empowering. What would you do if you could affect anything? Colleagues feel authentically motivated by the company culture, because it affects their day to day operations and they're continually empowered by it. I feel like my colleagues genuinely care for my well being, like we're in it together. With 5 offices, and the ability to travel to and meet colleagues of very different cultural backgrounds, you're exposed to a diverse POV which is refreshing. Many colleagues change their role to fit what they're the most passionate about, what they think creates the most impact, and to adjust to ever changing needs when the company pivots or the market changes. The opportunity for lateral movement and actually seeing it happen reinforces the independence culture. We share our failures (even rebranding them as 'learnings') and we actually celebrate our learnings with champagne. The perks are just unheard of. You'll hear about them in the interview. They're totally true. Our CEO is very humble, personable, listens, and will make time for you.

Cons

Independence can feel very scary. When nobody is telling you what to do, what would you do? The culture is so unlike most corporate structures that it can feel like you're in a foreign country for the first time. It requires a lot of reprogramming and buying into the mindset, which takes a lot of adjusting to the cultures that had influenced and incentivized previous behavior (at previous companies). Diversity is sought, but it sometimes doesn't feel like it in some internal teams. Albeit sometimes it can be unavoidable, but it's being addressed by teams asking for input and management actively engaged in the issue. The most negative way to say you need to buy into company culture is to 'drink the cool aid'. You do need to buy into the culture, and that takes effort. In this case I think it's safe to drink this cool aid. So in a roundabout cons section comment it can be somewhat cult-like. I can easily see from the outside that it can be perceived as that. [that's why the title is "It sounds too good to be true (but it is)"] Communicating with 5 different company branches and across multiple cultures can be challenging, as it amplifies miscommunication. With so many options to choose from, but finite time to execute, it really is tough to learn to focus on what'll be impactful, especially since sometimes it is hard to measure impact. If you're the type who wants to know what your next 5 years will be like, I don't recommend this company. The company itself feels both stable and dynamic (depends on the role(s) you choose). Adventure awaits. If you're the type who thrives only under direction but are paralyzed when all of a sudden being given many choices, this isn't a good place for you to succeed. If you are afraid to fail, you may find it challenging to adapt here. This is not an 'easy' place to work.

Continue reading

Supercell Response

January 23, 2019Recruitment Content

Thank you for the elaborate text!

Discover more reviews about Supercell.