Sutherland - You receive what you put in to this job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sutherland

"You receive what you put in to this job."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY

Pros

They are continuously hiring new employees for their sub-programs (BlackBerry, AT&T, H&R Block etc.)
You are garunteed full-time hours and occasional O.T
Employees that are not serious about their jobs are fired in due time. You may think management doesn't pay attention, sometimes employees don't notice until its too late and their getting the BOOT.
 If you are competent and maintain a positive attitude and great work skills, management will be understanding of any situations that may arise (time off, family issues etc.)

Cons

Because Sutherland hires in Waves, some employees are not as devoted to their jobs or may bring excess drama to the workplace- makes for a low work morale and affects the work environment.

Advice to Management

Although you guys are trying to fufill the demand of your contracts, be more selective in hiring!

Other Employee Reviews for Sutherland

"Good opportunities, great rapport, interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

The support from management at Sutherland has been nothing short of stellar in my time here. My first program had great support from my direct supervisor and his supervisor; when the program contract expired, they both worked hard to ensure I was placed in another program that suited my interests and schedule. When I married a Canadian, the entire management structure undertook to support my immigration prospects.

Additionally, the company has clearly begun to take employee engagement very seriously. They recognize that the work can be difficult and take great pains to make it meaningful and to create a positive work environment.

Finally, the opportunities for advancement are clear and easy to access.

Cons

401(k) accounts offered are not matched by the company, which should be a staple of modern business.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I am impressed with management at Sutherland and don't have any improvements in mind at this time - but if I did, I could go directly to them with my ideas and I feel confident I'd be listened to.

"A good place to START your career. But keep looking."

Former Employee - Help Desk Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Help Desk Consultant in Syracuse, NY

Pros

Good experience on resume
    Easy to get hired

Sutherland is a good place straight out of school to get some relevant experience to put on your resume. That's about all you'll gain here. We had 2 weeks of paid training which you will get a crash course on what you need to be proficient in. Sutherland will hire anybody with a good attitude and very basic knowledge of PCs. This would be a Con if you're competent because it lowers the overall quality of your program.

Cons

Low pay
    Long work hours
    Thankless job

Working tech support at Sutherland Global Services you can expect to be paid at least 40% below national average for your line of work. You will work long, thankless hours and the more talented you are, the more you will be taken advantage of. You will recieve a larger work load to compensate for the lower quality portion of the techs. Sutherland Global Services from what I've seen, will keep the terrible techs because I suppose they're too soft to let people go. That is a Pro if you lack confidence in your abilities or knowledge. If you want to advance around here it's simple...you do not have to be smart, just suck up to your superiors and become their buddys. Advancement will go to friends first and the deserving if there are no friends left. At the end, our program was very successful and we got outsourced to call centers in India where Sutherland could pay their employees much less.

Advice to Management

Have at least two levels for your techs. 90% would make up your basic techs and 10% would make up the Senior Techs. Pay the Senior techs $1-2 more an hour and have their primary duties be to field the more difficult calls and educate the techs who are struggling or inadequate. Being a Senior tech would hinge more on knowledge, ability to handle customers and leadership rather than years of service. This will raise the overall level of quality of the service provided and give motivation to the Basic Techs to become more proficient.