Swift Transportation - The Best in class | Glassdoor

"The Best in class"

Current Employee - Professional Driver
Current Employee - Professional Driver

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far so good ib dont have any complaints right now. Best in Class

Cons

There trucks are slow, and not enough ho6me time

Other Employee Reviews for Swift Transportation

"Not what you're expecting"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people are friendly, funny, and great co-workers. That's about all I can say for this job...

Cons

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Co-workers are fine (most of them, others are lucky Swift doesn't fire anyone). But, let me tell you that the real culture of this company is that everyone hates their job, they show up for EXACTLY their shift, and when their time is up the BOLT out the door.

Seriously... most people are gone by 5, but there are still LINES in the parking lot to get out of here. Nobody cares about doing a good job here, they only care about making it to the weekend.

Worst job ever... which sucks, because I like working in big teams, but Swift is NOT a great atmosphere. It's just depressing here.

Advice to Management

This isn't 1970 anymore, read a book that came out within the last decade about why people stay at their jobs. Free coffee isn't the answer... powered creamer sucks anyway!

Your "book it and figure it out" mentality is pathetic and everyone in the company despises it.

"Richard Stocking - YES, your company is too big!"

Current Employee - Office Staff in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Office Staff in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome in the office.

Cons

This list is going to be long-

-Swift has taken away many of our capabilities to do our jobs efficiently. As a result, drivers are more angry than ever. We no longer have the capability to accurately predict how much freight we need for the amount of trucks coming into the areas. We no longer have the capability to quickly and accurately find trailers for the drivers.

-Perhaps the most frustrating is Swift's gigantic bureaucracy that has a nasty habit of 'passing the buck' to another vague department that no one knows the true purpose of.

-Swift has proven time and again that they do not understand specialty freight, and no one is listening when we express our concerns. For example, when we first merged over we requested a macro to be created for yard checks so we could monitor fuel and temperature levels. Swift promptly denied us saying that the requested macro was 'not necessary for the business'. In the past few months we've paid several hundred thousand in OS&D claims due to trailers running out of fuel and spoiling freight. Still, no one listens.

-From a planning standpoint, Swift's grading system makes no sense. The planner scorecards do not care about deadhead mileage. They only score on how often planners use the computer's recommendations to match trucks with loads. This is a system that can be manipulated to show flawless performance. The recommendation system only gives a mere 500 miles per day to most teams, requiring the planners to manually plan on an ANCIENT system to get drivers the miles to pay their bills.

-We've had several office staff hospitalized from the stress since we were merged. And I do mean several.

-Swift and their COO Richard Stocking require us to attend something called 'Swift University'. This has got to be the biggest waste of company money I have EVER seen. I was required to attend online classes for what was called a 'leadership training'. One of the courses was, literally, a documentary about the Secretariat-the race horse. With nothing at the end to translate it to how it helped me become a leader. The next video was a montage of inspirational speeches from sports movies. Swift has several thousand office staff that were required to take this course. Assuming everyone makes $10-$18 an hour, and that everyone spent the three hours taking this course, Swift spent an estimated $90,000-$162,000 to show it's office workers a documentary about a racehorse.

-AS400 is ancient. SO ancient. It was written in 1988. The mouse was invented in 1992. The outdated computer system requires exponentially more keystrokes than any other system in the industry. Several office staff have reported severe pain related to carpal tunnel syndrome.

-Drivers aren't making money. They are being VERY nasty to the office staff. There's only so much we can do when our hands have been zip-tied behind our backs and we're forced to bob for apples to get our basic duties done. We're doing three times the footwork and only capable of accomplishing 25-50% of what we were doing before. We've had to hire more office staff to keep up with the demand, and we're still struggling to push our numbers up to what they were before the merger.

-Benefits are some of the worst I've ever seen. Insurance refuses to pay a dime till the deductible has been hit. There are much better insurance plans out there people. Don't be disillusioned thinking that Swift has a good insurance plan. It's only useful if you have a catastrophic accident. In the mean time you'll have to pay a fortune to maintain your good health.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your computer program and lay off half your office staff. It's that simple. Let people with real skill make your company and drivers money. Trim the fat.