Sylvan Learning Centers - I taught math and reading to elementary school aged children. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

"I taught math and reading to elementary school aged children."

Former Employee - Teacher in Prescott, AZ
Former Employee - Teacher in Prescott, AZ

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sylvan is an easy job as long as you have the patience. Teachers are buffered by employers from parents which makes it less annoying.

Cons

As with any teaching position, especially teaching young children, it can be quite difficult to manage students who are uninterested in learning the material.

Other Employee Reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

1. "At the end of the day....."

Current Employee - Center Director in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Center Director in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The end of the day for many jobs means making last minutes calls, finishing reports, shutting down your computer and going home. At Sylvan the end of the day means knowing we have changed lives for children and their families. I have witnessed first hand the change in students from when they first came to Sylvan and the difference even one day makes. There is nothing more satisfying than to see the progress of the students as they succeed in their academic programs thus elevating their self esteem at the same time. At the end of the day it is the gratification I get in knowing that our students are exactly where they should be academically while feeling so much better about themselves.

Cons

An ideal situation would be to be able to help every student that needs help regardless of their financial situation.

Advice to Management

Please continue with ongoing training to support our efforts.

2. "Challenging and rewarding!"

Current Employee - District Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - District Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sylvan Learning is the perfect opportunity for dedicated educators who don’t want to be stuck in a classroom. We actually change students’ lives every day and that can’t be matched anywhere else.
    The potential for growth and development is high. You just have to put in your time and be ready to jump at opportunities.

Cons

The transition from classroom hours can be tough for new directors. Sylvan employees work a lot of hours, including evenings and weekends.

Advice to Management

We need a strong, robust training, development, and mentorship program. This will help us develop long term employees with excellent skills.
    We should increase our base salaries to attract the most qualified candidates and uncap bonuses to motivate employees more.