Symantec - Join Symantec | Glassdoor

"Join Symantec"

Current Employee - Product Manager
Current Employee - Product Manager

Pros

Symantec people are absolutely fantastic - friendly, energetic and driven. They are very encouraging and supportive and provide their employees opportunities to succeed and learn. Great environment.

Cons

Sometimes I feel its toooo big .. I just hope we dont have any more buying.

Advice to Management

Please don't buy any more companies

Other Employee Reviews for Symantec

"Good place to work - but could be better"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Product Manager
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Product Manager

Pros

- Great people - we have some of the smartest, nicest people to work with.
    - Great benefits - our benefits packages is very good. In particular our Vision package is unequaled according to my optometrist.
    - Great products - we have best-in-breed solutions in multiple technology areas. We are hardware agnostic which allows us to concentrate on building good software.

Cons

- Short sighted - management is concerned with quarterly results and as a result does not invest for the long term. This is going to show up on the bottom line this year or next as it has been going on since the merger with VERITAS.
    - Talent management - employees are treated as a cost, not a resource. Annual layoffs, reduction in local benefits (such as free soft drinks) heighten the perception that we are not valued by senior management.
    - Focus on expenses - the company is so tightly focused on expenses that product lines are starved for investment. This will likewise show up on the bottom line in the not-so-distant future.

Advice to Management

Quit being so tight-fisted! Invest in the company, invest in your employees, invest in your products. Quit going through expense cutting exercises every quarter just to satisfy the folks on Wall St. They are incapable of managing their own houses, so quit kowtowing to them!

2. "Extremely fun and stimulating place to work. But the management needs to relax."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

There is plenty of room to be creative, especially now since Symantec seems to be looking into newer ventures and trying to expand beyond just being a security company. As more and more users are now backing up their data with Symantec it has provided the entire company with many new opportunities to find creative ways of allowing users to access that backed up data.

Cons

The management scheme in Symantec can make it very difficult to get things done in a quick and efficient manner.

Advice to Management

Sometimes its not always best to "go by the book". There will always be exceptions to the rules and when those exceptions occur management needs to be smart enough to get out of the way in order to allow the company as a whole to do better business.