Symantec - Opportunity to change an underperforming software brand w/ a stagnant stock price & a focus on cost over innovation. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

"Opportunity to change an underperforming software brand w/ a stagnant stock price & a focus on cost over innovation."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great informal training ground if you show initiative and take the opportunity. Fantastic, well respected external brand particularly in consumer. 1st line managers are, mostly, excellent.

Cons

You come across unhappy people who choose to stay and whine about the company, but don't make changes themselves. A number of staff who (comparably speaking) "coast", many who are 4+ years. Not many career opportunities for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

"4th largest software company in the world" - hardly motivating! No one should brag about being number 4! Best of luck with new CEO. Big opportunity. I wish Symantec well.

Other Employee Reviews for Symantec

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior SQA Analyst in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior SQA Analyst in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, and surrounded by awesome tech gear.

Cons

Not really a con, but its result and team oriented.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"A great place to learn corporate survival strategies"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome, some of the most talented and friendly people I have worked with.
    The pay is above average for my region.
    Free Training!

Cons

Layoffs are regular and happen every time some executive leaves or is hired. In fact every time we see a "Welcome Soandso" email everyone groans and updates their resume. This leads to a constant ill feeling in your belly that never quite goes away. This is good training for modern corp life though, as this is the new normal.
    Too many executives and upper management for the company to do anything quickly, and in the tech industry that is not great.
    Benefits are decreasing rapidly, almost monthly since the acquisition of Verisign. The impact on morale is absurdly obvious, but management has chosen the "Ostrich method" of dealing with it. When I was a "noobie" I came in with a very positive attitude which was quickly laughed at by senior, jaded technicians. I soon understood why.
    If you are a front-line technician your performance is evaluated by metrics. The problem is there is no variation in expectation if you work in a slower product or work weekends. Even though you get fewer calls you are expected to pull the same numbers as those that work busier products or days. If you are unlucky enough to work weekends do not expect raises and you will likely be on a "Performance Plan".
    "Profit center" employees(Sales, Marketing, etc) are paid and treated much better than "Cost Center" employees(Support, facilities, etc). We can see this every day, and most pointedly on Fridays.

Advice to Management

Look at your processes and your retention. Find another way to increase profits other than laying off employees for short term gains, eventually you will need to fill their positions and pay for the training and learning curve of a new employee.