Symantec - Sorry, wouldn't recommend working for this fortune 500 company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

"Sorry, wouldn't recommend working for this fortune 500 company"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager
Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

Pros

The company has a lot of benefits, but the company failed to help employees use them. The company purchasing and commuter plan is great. The at&t discount is also good. It's great that we get free Norton PC products to use at home. I'm sorry I really don't have much good things to say.

Cons

H.R. is in India, Takes forever to get a response from H.R. , Payroll and etc. I.T. is also outsourced to India. Horrible. No Sick days - use your vacation days "PTO Days". It seems that any time you have an Issue you have to contact the benefits provider. Oh you didn't get your benefits card, well you need to call Aetna and they should take care of that for you. Oh you didn't get your dental card call your provider. Your local site will most likely not have a Support staff. No paid lunch

Advice to Management

Bring support functions back to the U.S., we are a US company! Does sprint nextel ring a bell.

Other Employee Reviews for Symantec

"Join Symantec"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

Pros

Symantec people are absolutely fantastic - friendly, energetic and driven. They are very encouraging and supportive and provide their employees opportunities to succeed and learn. Great environment.

Cons

Sometimes I feel its toooo big .. I just hope we dont have any more buying.

Advice to Management

Please don't buy any more companies

"Good place to work - but could be better"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Product Manager
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Product Manager

Pros

- Great people - we have some of the smartest, nicest people to work with.
    - Great benefits - our benefits packages is very good. In particular our Vision package is unequaled according to my optometrist.
    - Great products - we have best-in-breed solutions in multiple technology areas. We are hardware agnostic which allows us to concentrate on building good software.

Cons

- Short sighted - management is concerned with quarterly results and as a result does not invest for the long term. This is going to show up on the bottom line this year or next as it has been going on since the merger with VERITAS.
    - Talent management - employees are treated as a cost, not a resource. Annual layoffs, reduction in local benefits (such as free soft drinks) heighten the perception that we are not valued by senior management.
    - Focus on expenses - the company is so tightly focused on expenses that product lines are starved for investment. This will likewise show up on the bottom line in the not-so-distant future.

Advice to Management

Quit being so tight-fisted! Invest in the company, invest in your employees, invest in your products. Quit going through expense cutting exercises every quarter just to satisfy the folks on Wall St. They are incapable of managing their own houses, so quit kowtowing to them!