Symantec - Okay Except Directors | Glassdoor

"Okay Except Directors"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The actual work can be either simple and mundane or challenging due to the difficulty of figuring out how to fit something into the existing architecture or limited time before the "current" deadline.
   Salaries appear to be good to slighly above average.
   People tend to stick with the company for long periods (relatively "new" employees have been at the company 5-10 years, with many in the 15+ years).
   The new CEO (a lot better than the last one) appears to be trying to shake the company out of "this is how we've been doing it so we should keep doing it that way" into something more of "this is what we should be doing".

Cons

The past several years in particular, they would lay off independent contributors to meet some bean-counting salary target. It is nice in that it tended to end up with the better end of employees sticking with the company (though sometimes it seemed to be about who you knew). The problem is that they did not get rid of any directors or managers, and then they would hire or promote additional people until we have too many directors managers and not enough people actually doing the work.
   The longevity of current employees with most turnover being in the more recently hired areas seems to make it difficult for someone to get promoted.
   The CEO looked at how we have been doing things to see where problems arise, and has even given directions about how we should be doing things. The individual contributors who are actaully trying to do the work also give feedback as to what is not working, why it is not working, and what we should be doing instead. The directors, however, seem to be ignoring this and doing what they want to do. Several directors do this to the point of acting very unprofessionally and treat employees like children who do not deserve any respect
   The new CEO is also forcing a complete re-org from the top down which may help get rid of some of the management deadweight, though I think they should ditch all of the directors and start over with some new people.

Advice to Management

Replace the entire level of directors and everyone on the "Product Team" that has been here > 2 years. They don't appear to have any concept of how their jobs should be done let alone how to lead others towards getting the work done. They are trying to force a new process (poorly) to "improve quality and reduce schedule" which the individual contributors who actually have to deal with it every day to spend several days a month (sometimes an entire week at a stretch for particularly bad problems) where we cannot do work. When the block is removed, a flurry of changes causes even more problems and conflicts which reduces quality and increases the time required.
   When a release is still months away, they are imposing artifical milestones along the way where all things of X type have to be complete. If something will take longer, you have to come up with an alternative "hack" that will cause other problems later or not solve it correctly just so that they can claim that all of X type are done. You want to go back afterwards and fix it? Sorry, we don't have enough time in the schedule so it will have to be the next major product release instead.

Other Employee Reviews for Symantec

1. "Good work environment but your hard work may not get rewarded"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Equal opportunity was given to all age, experience, and nationality

Cons

No rewards ($ or promotions for years)

2. "Great place for growing technically in any IT field"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Professional workplace
    - The Company Core values are implemented in each process

Cons

- Needs better co-ordination and communication between different product teams.

Advice to Management

- Learn to Identify talent in your Team, and make utmost efforts to retain them.