Symantec - Overall a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Springfield, OR
Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Springfield, OR

Pros

Symantec is an industry leader and the company is growing very fast. Every day I get the opportunity to work side by side with some of the most intelligent people in the industry, which forces me to push myself.

Cons

Because Symantec is growing so fast there is constant changes being applied the organizational structure and process which can get very frustrating. These changes make it very hard to get the work done. (Fortunately most of the changes are for the good)

Advice to Management

You are an IT company, you need an IT department.

Other Employee Reviews for Symantec

"work environment STINKS"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cupertino, CA

Pros

excellent Technology and tools, excellent learning possibility if the work env was good

Cons

contractors are treated like dirt, no respect, old timers have no respect for new comers; no support. some of the mid level managers have no clue what is expected of them. job assignmnets are done by one-liner emails, no team spirit; hire -no support -fire; That is why there are so many contract position on symantec; because of constant fires and kills. There is this "great" group with a director and an annalyst, with zero communication with hired contractors - the feeling seems to be new person may outshine them in the group. atleast a few people have quit and literally run away. They really make any new comers life miserable.

Advice to Management

train managers to be leaders, focus on work ethics and good working atmosphere. People would love to stay on if the work env is healthy and happy

"It sometimes takes years to understand the wisdom and innovation of true visionaries."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Symantec is a great place to work for a lot of reasons. In my 13+ years at the company, I have been able shape my responsibilities around the areas that I am most interested in, but it was up to me to do the shaping. I have had several job changes within the company, all because I chose them, which makes it seems like the time has flown by. Another great thing about working at Symantec is the flexibility the company allows employees, especially employees who are top performers. I feel valued and trusted, and have been given flexibility to work from home, have flexible scheduling, and so on. Our leadership team is not afraid of making changes when things are not working. People who do not react well to change may see that as a negative, but I see it as an organic company that responds to the needs of its shareholders and customers. I am particularly happy about the appointment of Enrique Salem as Chief Operating Officer. He is a great asset to the executive team in this expanded role.

Cons

About the only downside I can reference is that some of our communications vehicles are not as high tech as they could be. It is sometimes difficult to communicate to such a diverse workforce spread across 40+ locations worldwide.

Advice to Management

Just continue to be open and honest with employees. We can take the hard messages along with the celebrations. We are all on the bus together.