Symantec - Great company and changing for the better under Steve Bennett | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

"Great company and changing for the better under Steve Bennett"

Current Employee - Senior Category Marketing Manager in Culver City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Category Marketing Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm 22 years into my corp. career and have worked at several employers across different industries - so when I say this is the best company I have ever worked for thus far in my career, I think it carries some weight. I am no corporate shill, but I do know a good work environment and good management when I see it.

Here are pros in my eyes to working at Symantec (keep in mind I've worked in the Marketing portion of the Consumer/Norton part of the business, so can't speak to Enterprise/Commercial segment and departments like Prod. Management, QA, Dev/Engineering etc.).

- Competent, caring co-workers (no, we don't have group hugs, but people here understand that you have a life outside of the office you must live -- that work/balance thing is real here).
- Competent management team (we just went through a re-org and the bad apples got thrown out of the bushel)
- Compensation is generous
- Benefits are generous, insurance plans very good (love the Cigna HRA plan)
- Frequent Travel (this is a benefit to me since I enjoy it)
- Work life balance is excellent: I can work from home when I need to and it's not an issue to my manager
- Company culture and values are clearly stated and all here understand you must abide by these values -- and it's encouraged with internal "Applause" awards program where others can give monetary prizes for those who excel at demonstrating adherence to these values through their work -- the company's core values are: Innovation, Action, Customer Driven,Trust.
- Training on Symantec's Code of Conduct is MANDATORY for all employees: this goes a long way towards creating a professional, courteous work environment (more companies need to do this). Psychopaths and sociopaths are not tolerated here.

- You are not locked into your role: I've met many folks at this company who started out doing one thing, but moved onto other roles. This is the first company where my manager has told me: "if there's another role you want to pursue, let me know and we'll see how we can make that happen." The caveat is you have to have been in your current role for at least a year before moving to a new one.

Cons

There aren't a whole lot of negatives in my eyes; maybe I think this way because I've worked at so many lackluster companies ;-) But here are a few:

- Onboarding process for new employees could use an overhaul: it's not the most user friendly process, but it more about the impersonal nature of it -- this really depends on your manager also - mine went out of her way to make sure I had what I needed; others may not though.

- The global scale of the company means you may be working calls in the evenings and early mornings or travelling A LOT -- but this depends on your role; get clarity on this before signing on.

Having said this, I like working with folks from other parts of the company in EMEA and APJ and have had the opportunity to meet great people around the world and across the org.

- Company could be more generous with RSUs for rock stars, though there are rumours management may be more generous with these during performance reviews this year.

- SYMC 4.0: this is the internal re-org/revitalization of Symantec across all segments of the company. It's more than a reorg: it's a new way of thinking about how we do business here. It created a lot of anxiety and doubt with some in the company, but I could see from the get-go when I came on board that change was necessary.

Steven Bennett did this before at Intuit, so he has a track record with change management. Think overall the re-org and re-focusing of the company is a good thing - I'm bullish on Symantec. We lost some people who really built the consumer business and that was painful to watch. And for many the uncertainty brought on by this was not good. But we're done with the re-org now though -- I only provide this last point for context.

Really, this has been a great place for me to work and the cons above are miniscule in my eyes.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees post-reorg; continue to articulate corp. strategy as company executes against SYMC 4.0 vision. Show employees they are valued and not just cogs in a big machine.

Other Employee Reviews for Symantec

1. "Safe and sound job......"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security, decent benefits, good work life balance. Learning opportunities depend on the group.

Cons

learning and growth opportunities. Management and process overhead.

2. "ReviewReSYMC review"

Pros

Good balance between work and personal life. Good place to work and grow. Company striving towards growth at Organizational and individual level.

Cons

No Cons for me as such. I am satisfied working with Symantec.