Symantec - AVOID until 2016 | Glassdoor

"AVOID until 2016"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be an amazing place to work. Best and most rewarding time of my career. As a result of the company transition, the place is a mess, poor decisions are being made, there is no opportunity for growth and only negative returns for your efforts.

Cons

All new executive team and middle management level. The VAST majority of managers have no experience in the areas they are now leading. We're unsure how it happened, but it did. If they took a job description and someone's resume, there would be no match. Even worse, they have no self awareness. So you have Sr. Directors and Directors who are new to their roles, do not have the background or experience for that role, and are unwilling to ask the managers remaining who do have the background and experience for any input. The end result is that poor decisions are being made and consensus and group think are beginning to occur. The mantra is "lead with courage" but it is not happening. If you speak up you are deemed out of line. When Bennett took over I believed in his vision. But if the company doesn't course correct quickly with the middle managers, they won't get there. I advise anyone looking for a job to stay away for the next few years until the company is able to identify the mistakes they've made in terms of talent/management decisions and correct it. If however, you're a glutton for punishment, are looking to take steps back in your career, or feel like watching a less entertaining version of "the office" on a daily basis, by all means...apply.

Advice to Management

Take a much closer look at your sr. director and director levels and do it quickly. The change you're looking for, the leadership you need to keep your front line and individual contributors is not there. They are not living the leadership success profile and they do not have enough self awareness, experience, or humility to realize it.

Other Employee Reviews for Symantec

"Nearly 9 years to watch the pendulum swing back to bad"

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of truly great people when I was working there. Great benefits and a great work environment. I've had several great managers and leaders in my time. Some true visionaries and truly brilliant people.

Cons

Sadly, a lot has happened that has destroyed the culture of Symantec. The focus on the future ignore a lot of the realities of the modern, mobile world. Especially when it comes to your targets and growth/expansion. Too many directors and VPs that remain are taking away decisions from those under them without any direct knowledge of the market or the target customers.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately through the reorg you've gotten rid of a lot of expertise, vision, and leadership. My first advice is to do what you actually said. Find the under served or needed jobs and solve for them. You must act quickly or you will become irrelevant. You're starting to creat a culture that will move even slower then Symantec was at its low point. Also, stop allowing the creation of fiefdoms. Even though the nature of 4.0 is supposed to be more cooperation, you are creating a culture of less cooperation. An "everyone is in it for themselves" type culture where the strongest director (personality wise) wins, even at the expense of the most qualified team or individual. You won't win if you constantly lose the most talented people in your org.

"OK company to work for with good work/life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open environment,not much pressure,Lot of events to connect with the leadership,lot of company wide events

Cons

Bureacracy,Bad pay package,no free food,No persistence to ideas,No sync in different team

Advice to Management

Should take care of employee needs