Symetra - After 14 years - my loyalty didn't pay off. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

"After 14 years - my loyalty didn't pay off."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, supportive co-workers and fairly good benefits.

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of knowledge amongst upper management, very political, hostile work environment is fostered and no action is taken by HR when situations are brought to their attention, projects and products are developed for months on end only to be stopped after thousands of dollars are spent, because not enough research was done beforehand. If you're thinking of applying here - RUN, they won't be around in 2 years and it's not worth your energy.

Advice to Management

When Tom was hired as the new CEO, there was a feeling of hopefulness. Many employees felt that it was time for a change. He has yet to prove himself. I watched many employees who had been loyal and hard-working be laid off to make room for Tom's buddies to come in. I ended up being one of those people - it was heartbreaking and took me a year to find a new job. My advice to upper management is to really think about the decisions they make. They may THINK they have all of the answers because of where they come from - they don't - they're not even close. LISTEN to the employees, 45% of them approve of Tom - that is TERRIBLE! Get a clue or get a new job.

Other Employee Reviews for Symetra

"RUN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR SANITY!!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good location, restaurants and across from bus station

Cons

Middle management placing a horrific workload and unattainable % for processing. Even they would not be able to meet it but to look good to the "higher ups" they ate up and spit out the few loyal people.... Even temps ended up going on leave (and getting paid) due to the stress of the depts. If you went to HR (who was to mediate) you knew you took a risk and you walked out knowing you were in trouble. What was said in HR did not stay in HR they discussed it even in
    elevators! Once mid management heard there was a complaint they created "does not meet standards" and made it a hostile workplace..... This is just the beginning. Also Symetra apparently isn't aware their reputation on the "street" is negative ............ Oh I forgot this is a perfect place for promotion if you're a 'YES MAN'!!!!!!! One final .... they don't care they are understaffed they are more than happy to devour you ...

Advice to Management

Tom when you came in to "take over" and found a place on Lake Washington to live .... Symetra employees can barely make rent. You really should look around and see what your middle management is doing to the employees .... shame on you ....... how about you with your other wonderful board members come on down and see how condescending some of your UM's and other management is to staff!!! They actually create a hostile work environment and spit out employees ....... just sayin' take time from one of your jogs and get on down to what you have created..... it's not pretty .......

"Not perfect, but good so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great location - near restaurants and the transit center.
    * Competitive salary and good benefits package (including 401k match and generous stock purchase plan).
    * Good worklife balance.
    * Unlike many other companies in the area and/or in the same industry (including the company I left earlier this year), Symetra is in very good financial shape and is actually poised for growth.

Cons

* Change management - I'm ok with change, but feel that communication with employees could be better. I do believe that the company is moving in the right direction though.
    * Like with most companies, employee experience/morale probably varies a lot by department. I can only speak for my own experience, which has been positive.
    * Parking is expensive.

Advice to Management

Senior management should work harder to communicate with and be visible to their employees.