Symetra - A promising opportunity that ended in disappointment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

"A promising opportunity that ended in disappointment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Downtown Bellevue location close to plenty of restaurants and Bellevue square

Cons

Abysmal salary, no communication from upper management, and this is becoming the new Hartford at the hands of Tom Marra. Overtime is mandatory in some departments and regardless of how many extra hours you put in expect daily guilt trips about not being a team player.

Advice to Management

This is not an east coast company, so stop running it like one

Other Employee Reviews for Symetra

"Love the job and the people!"

Current Employee - Shared Services in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Shared Services in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, hardworking, involved employees (who don't take themselves too seriously)!

My experience with management and senior management has been very positive - strive to be transparent and encourge employees to speak up.

There is VERY good work-life balance at Symetra.

Career mobility is supported and encouraged - discovered that 30% of all posted jobs are filled internally.

Cons

In comparison with other employers in the area, paid time off is not competetive.

Advice to Management

In order to be an employer of choice, continue to make strides in the overall benefits array and paid time off.

Continue to encourage employee feedback in all areas - from products and pricing to benefits and company culture.

"After 14 years - my loyalty didn't pay off."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, supportive co-workers and fairly good benefits.

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of knowledge amongst upper management, very political, hostile work environment is fostered and no action is taken by HR when situations are brought to their attention, projects and products are developed for months on end only to be stopped after thousands of dollars are spent, because not enough research was done beforehand. If you're thinking of applying here - RUN, they won't be around in 2 years and it's not worth your energy.

Advice to Management

When Tom was hired as the new CEO, there was a feeling of hopefulness. Many employees felt that it was time for a change. He has yet to prove himself. I watched many employees who had been loyal and hard-working be laid off to make room for Tom's buddies to come in. I ended up being one of those people - it was heartbreaking and took me a year to find a new job. My advice to upper management is to really think about the decisions they make. They may THINK they have all of the answers because of where they come from - they don't - they're not even close. LISTEN to the employees, 45% of them approve of Tom - that is TERRIBLE! Get a clue or get a new job.