Synacor - Mediocre | Glassdoor

"Mediocre"

Former Contractor - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
Former Contractor - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Synacor as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, good experience with technologies. Generally a helpful atmosphere, but you have to know who to ask.

Cons

Not a very advanced technology stack. Very bureacratic in general. Disorganized. There tends to be quite a bit of rigamarole trying to get anything changed beyond the aesthetic. Also, there's a general reluctance to adapt to new technologies / methodologies.

Advice to Management

Please spread some of the autonomy to the lower levels of management, as well as some of the decision making power. It's quite frustrating for everything to take 10x as long as it should.

Other Employee Reviews for Synacor

1. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Developer in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Synacor is a good place to work. We have lots of small perks, and we get to work on lots of cool projects that are seen by a lot of people.

Cons

Sometimes we have to work overnight at syncs, or long hours to complete a project on time. Raises aren't always the greatest.

Advice to Management

Management could be more open about the direction Synacor is headed as a whole. Sometimes projects get canceled or started without fully thinking them through.

"Innovative workplace that allows and promotes creativity"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Great work environment, dynamic/young atmosphere, lots of diversity. Great healthcare coverage and flexibility with time off if needed. Everyone is relatively open to new experiences and challenges.

Cons

No career path, salary is abysmal, leadership is constantly changing, processes and procedures never remain constant which makes doing our jobs exceptionally difficult and inefficient. Getting resources to work on some projects is like pulling teeth.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it. You are constantly trying to throw new solutions at us to create a more efficient work environment, but too much change all at once is causing confusion and frustration. We have enough going on as it is. Slow down and stop trying to change everything at once!