Synacor - Excellent place to work for in Buffalo | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Synacor

"Excellent place to work for in Buffalo"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Buffalo, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Synacor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays very comfortably for living in Buffalo
Benefits
Tools

Cons

Depends on the team you're on

Other Employee Reviews for Synacor

"Innovative, friendly and professional workplace"

Former Employee - Lead Agile Practices in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Agile Practices in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Synacor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Management integrity and understanding
    - Employees are motivated
    - Generous atmosphere
    - Embrace diversity
    - Career growth
    - Innovative and capable engineers
    - Hard working with fun

Cons

I enjoyed my time at Synacor. Probably because of my age, I have maturity which tells me there will be always drawbacks in any job. Engineers are young, energetic, motivated and innovative. I wish if they keep this momentum.

"Casual dress code...but at what cost?"

I have been working at Synacor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Casual dress code. People wear pretty much whatever they want.
    - Fun company events.
    - Some of the people are really great - very helpful, smart, and friendly.
    - Nice downtown location with free parking.
    - Flexible hours are possible. As long as you're getting your work done, no one really cares.
    - Synacor works with some larger clients doing neat stuff.

Cons

- Synacor is the fat girl who got asked to the prom by their clients, who they company treats like they're the quarterback of the football team. This leads to many issues, the most serious being that Synacor execs will promise anything to clients in order to get their business. Whether it is actually doable or not isn't a consideration. It's often very difficult and stressful to actually execute these projects. There is little support from the execs other than to "just get it done."
    - Clients treat their contacts like crap. I've worked in client services before and I have never been treated this poorly, or overheard my colleagues being treated so poorly.
    - Everything is done at an extremely fast pace (usually due to unrealistic commitments made by an exec), leaving little time for training, writing documentation, and fixing the vast amounts of technical debt.
    - Some people can be difficult to work with. It can be like pulling teeth. Engineers never give you updates or progress reports, or escalate roadblocks, but then when you ask them for info, they complain that you're bugging them. Other people make you feel like an idiot for having the audacity to ask them to do their jobs.
    - Little to no official processes are in place, and the processes they do have aren't communicated very well, so certain people take you to task for not doing something you had no idea that you were supposed to do.
    - When a project you're working on is launching, expect to work insane hours, whether you're the project manager or an engineer. I once worked 24 hours straight.
    - No career paths for certain positions. Only those who have friends in high places seem to get promotions.
    - Synacor is out of space at its current location, but other than some vague rumors floating around about moving locations or acquiring more space at the current location, it doesn't seem like they're actually doing anything about it.
    - Quality of managers vary greatly from team to team.
    - Low salaries and even lower raises. Seems like they use their location in an economically depressed area to their advantage.
    - Certain people are trying to improve things, but it seems like nothing will never truly change due to the stubbornness of those at the very top of the company.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, rather than the immediate opportunity at hand to possibly grow the business. Clearly define what the company does and invest the resources to execute it at a high level. Take the reins from the clients and don't let them dictate everything.