Synovus - Columbus In-breeding Leads to Poor Performance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Synovus

"Columbus In-breeding Leads to Poor Performance"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Columbus, GA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at Synovus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Columbus GA is a great place to raise kids and if you are going to live there and work for a company it's Synovus, TSYS or AFLAC. Not much else.

Cons

The old guard leadership influence has led to a lack of differentiation in the market for Synovus and they are a poor performer and competitor. While they did retire much of the old guard and they were able to pay off their TARP loan it was at the expense of their culture and sacrifice of many employees. Now their brand is nondescript, their technology is generic, and their ability to change is limited. Synovus is not a place where the best and brightest go to work, nor the best customers go to do business.

Advice to Management

Invest in your infrastructure, your people, and your brand....like you mean it. Demand results of your local old dog politicians...whoops I mean employees. You have no differentiation in the market. Bring on and listen to younger leadership that "get it" and have more drive than the local leadership who just want to politic all day.

Other Employee Reviews for Synovus

"A challenging ride, from pre-recession, to slow post-recession with a company reinventing itself to survive."

Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Synovus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Genuine commitment to process improvement.
    Located in growth markets.
    Retains some of earlier values in spite of pressures counter to this.

Cons

Has not fully realized potentials for efficiencies.
    Some markets are still slow recovering from the recession.

Advice to Management

Seek a balance between strong "process" and agility.

2. "Great and useful Internship!!!"

Current Employee - IT - Intern in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - IT - Intern in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Synovus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always learning something new, REALLY great people to work with. I made sure I took advantage of getting my hands on as many projects as I could. My manager was really helpful in giving me ideas for development. I thought I was a pretty good programmer before I came here, but I learned Sooo much more just after the first month. It really helps if your an active participant in your internship though, otherwise you will get bored like anywhere else.

Cons

As any tech department, communication between departments isnt the greatest, but no real cons here

Advice to Management

More interaction between interns in the different departments. Schedule a goal for an end of summer project of some nature...