Synovus - This company believes in doing more, with less. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Synovus

"This company believes in doing more, with less."

Former Employee - Image Console Operate\Transport Operator in Columbus, GA
Former Employee - Image Console Operate\Transport Operator in Columbus, GA

I worked at Synovus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The name looks good on your resume.

Cons

It is not a friendly place to work for minorities.

Advice to Management

Invest in classes about different minority cultures and subcultures.

Other Employee Reviews for Synovus

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Columbus, GA

I worked at Synovus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Company generally wants to do the right thing.

Cons

Caught up in banking crisis and is still not fully recovered. It will probably never be the same.

"Synovus was, overall, a pleasant business to work for..."

Former Contractor - Business Online Support in Columbus, GA
    Former Contractor - Business Online Support in Columbus, GA

I worked at Synovus as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a contract employee to provide support for corporate customers during an overlap interim, during which I was to help transition users from a (legacy) online banking system and the newer system that would come to supersede it. I found all of the employees, both permanent and contract workers, to be extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people. The building and facilities were clean and I had no major complaints about the company, its policies or related.

Cons

The managers often claimed that a select group of the contract workers would likely be hired into permanent positions, though with no 100% guarantee. I can say that I, as well as about 2-3 others, displayed an exceptional aptitude and exemplary work ethic-- prime candidates, if there were any to be chosen, but when all was said and done, I do not think they followed through. Though, I do not hold that fact against them, as a company, since we were knowingly hired on for a limited-scope project and there were no promises made regarding permanent positions. There was one member of middle management that was a clash of personality (silent) with several of their subordinates... but isn't that anywhere and everywhere, really? It's bound to happen. Again, that was a personal issue and not an overall company or inherent business flaw, so that's largely immaterial, really.

Advice to Management

Being there such a short time and with such a limited perspective of the overall greater dynamics of the company, I do not have any advice that immediately comes to mind. I felt there were some in positions higher than others who did not deserve to be, by measure of experience and overall capability, but I cannot say if that was based on personal politics (the "buddy-buddy", "good-ole-boy" system) or some other circumstance of the past which may have seen them favored over other candidates.

I do recall there being little one on one time between upper-middle management and the middle managers, so if I was made to give some constructive criticism, it might be for the higher-up manager(s) to come interface with the lower-level ones more frequently than they did. There likely could have been better inter-level communication going on; a tighter managerial structure... though, I would hardly be the most fitting one to judge such a thing.