Syracuse University - As an student assistant in Syracuse University | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Syracuse University

"As an student assistant in Syracuse University"

Former Intern - Student Assistant in Syracuse, NY
Former Intern - Student Assistant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Syracuse University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The stuff there are very friendly and could teach you much during the daily work

Cons

maybe it is quite far way from home however if you have a car and valid driver licence, this is not a problem.

Other Employee Reviews for Syracuse University

1. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, great 401k, great health insurance, and remitted tuition is a dream.
    My department is great, my director was brilliant and on top of that just a general good person.
    The one coworker I work with the most is very supportive.
    Lots of opportunities to learn new things through remitted tuition and then put them into action.
    It's comfortable to have a position at the university, breaks are great and it feels like an accomplishment to have a good job with a respected employer.

Cons

Like all universities there is a lot of bureaucracy.
    Not enough interdisciplinary collaboration.
    Not enough follow through and urgency in accomplishing things.
    We're a university, some sort of standard best practices information should be available to everyone, I feel like I'm just kind of feeling my way around in the dark.
    Budgetary concerns, we don't have the money to spend on things that businesses would have.

Advice to Management

More cross training. People in similar roles in different departments even in the same colleges/schools don't have the same knowledge and resources. Pair up new hires with experienced employees to ensure that the learning curve isn't so steep or slow as it is when trying to learn everything yourself through trial and error.

2. "Not an easy place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are the largest employer in Syracuse and they have a good benefit package. It is also true that once you get a job, it is very hard to lose it as a manager.

Cons

It is almost impossible to advance if you are good at your current position. I have tried for over 4 years to move to another department or school for a better position and I get the interview but never the position. The pay rate can be very low.

Advice to Management

Give people a opportunity or create a mentor program for people who want to advance to a higher position.