Sysco - Has been a big learning experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sysco

"Has been a big learning experience"

Current Employee - Finance
Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers Above average salary

Cons

Management are not all on same page.

Advice to Management

Policy should be enforced for all employees the same not by how long you have worked there or who you know. Exceptions should not be made for those considered special.

Other Employee Reviews for Sysco

"No Longer Systems Service Company….they don't care about service any longer"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate

I worked at Sysco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job and that is about all I can say. There really are no pros to it as far as I am concerned.

Cons

Years ago, they had class. They loved all customers whether they were a huge hospital or a little Mom and Pop convenience store. Today, that's farthest from the truth than ever before; it's all about bottom line. They used to love and care about their employees also but ever since the economy downturn, they have slashed their employees careers; jobbed customer service and I.T. out to INDIA, forced each and every other REMAINING employee to take cut pays and increased their workload to exhaustion. I worked as Marketing Associate for almost 18 years and finally threw in the towel. I was tired of the demands they made of me; all expected to be done with a smile on my face…They cram too many cases in the trucks, overloading them to max capacity which hurt not only the drivers and their nightmares trying to dig through it all but then the product was compromised by being smashed all around during transit and the customers were held hostage waiting longer than they should have to because they put an average of 24 stops on the trucks which was ridiculous. They also made it IMPOSSIBLE to service the customer by allowing the Marketing Associate to hand deliver ANY PRODUCT INCLUDING PAPER CUPS because of some STUPID FEAR of being sued. There was an ISOLATED incident with chicken in a hot shed or something like that in San Francisco, so they got all paranoid and placed a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for any and all Marketing Associate to even TOUCH a product whether it was perishable or not. So Joe Blow has a wedding and Sysco screws up and leaves a case of plastic plates off the truck. Solution….Marketing Associate can run to warehouse and pick it up and get it to the caterer within the hour….but NOT ANYMORE….nope, the customer has to go to Sam's Club or Restaurant Depot….better yet, they can call any of Sysco's competitors and get it done…. and on and on and on…..so, I quit. They told my customers I "retired". I gingerly tell them when I see them, NO I DID NOT RETIRE, I QUIT! Oh, by the way, they also cut our pension by 2/3's and any new employee does not get one at all. They are NOT FOR THE CUSTOMER, THEY ARE NOT FOR EMPLOYEE ….all they care about is their bottom line as stated earlier and of course, we have to make sure DeLaney gets to keep his 7 figure salary….God forbid he give up anything….

Advice to Management

I could not give them one bit of advice because they would never listen. They are so full of themselves that they think they know it ALL.

"Could be a great company but lacks structure!"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Services in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Sysco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruits good talent
    Pay scale is competitive
    Opportunities to move around
    Will gain experience based on total immersion

Cons

The good talent recruited goes to waste because it is not cultivated.
    The pay scale is not sufficient the work load, hours and amount of stress.
    There are plenty of opportunities because of high turnover throughout the company.
    The experience that you gain will be by trial and error, you are expected to company processes, and complex issue resolution without training structure, you are thrown in and it is sink or swim!
    You will be held accountable for actions whether it is your fault or not and unfamiliar processes.
    You are not managed, you are not even thought of unless a issue arises that effects them.
    Only the strong will survive and you will have to be very, very strong independently and before you get there.
    The pressure to produce is immediate, I am talking first month with million dollar responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and get back to the basics. Train your people properly, spend the time to cultivate them and respect them, that should slow down the turnover and produce better and more achievable results.