Sysco - Great place to work! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Department Secretary in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Department Secretary in Houston, TX

I worked at Sysco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stability, great benefits, afforded me with the ability to learn new things and gain greater skills, allowed me to continue my education - I was blessed with the opportunity to work for some really great people / great talents. Flexible and empathetic.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say - no cons.

Advice to Management

N/A

Other Employee Reviews for Sysco

"No opportunity to be financially comfortable"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative ) in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people who are willing to be helpful. Good trainer but he should have more control over what he trains on; topics seem to be controlled by management. Annual and quaterly recognition for meeting sales goals.

Cons

Inadequate technology systems. Micro-management by leadership. Expected to use your own car and pay for your own cell phone for work but without any reimbursement. Pay is average but seriously inadequate for the hours and the effort this job requires. No room for advancement. Constant changes to pay plans - felt like I couldn't plan a personal budget that would be accurate for very long.

Advice to Management

upgrade the technology system. Trust the people you hire to do the gob you hired them for. Stop overwhelming your employees for reports and micro-management.

"Used to be a good place to work. Now there's no job security and weak management."

Former Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative ) in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Sysco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, money can be good depending on where you work, stock options are good since that's where they focus resources

Cons

Commission plans change every year and keep reducing MA income, no job security, greatly reduced product offering over past 1.5 years, regularly cutting commissions, firing a lot people in the past six months since new leadership moved in (OpCo-specific), short-sighted upper management at OpCo level, corporate leadership clueless about what happens at the customer level, seasoned sales staff and lower-level management getting fired to bring in less experienced MAs and management who take less pay, slow implementation of any new policy. SPECIFICALLY FOR MAs: working 6-7 days a week can be tough if you have a family, Christmas and Thanksgiving are the only holidays you get off and even those are questionable if you have customer deliveries the next day.

Advice to Management

Before working for Sysco, I had been working with them in restaurants since I was 15. I had always been impressed by the longevity of employment there because almost every employee I met showed pride in where they worked and talked about how long they'd been with Sysco. Now it seems like they just say how long they have until retirement, if they don't get fired first.