T-Mobile - T-Mobile is an excellent job for someone who is working through college. Otherwise, stay away. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for T-Mobile

"T-Mobile is an excellent job for someone who is working through college. Otherwise, stay away."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at T-Mobile part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the ideal job for someone in college. Decent hourly pay with good commission structure. You learn a lot about mobile technology and how to interact with people. Mostly, you learn about problem solving and learning to work around computer/system errors and troubleshooting phones. You can also network with a lot of your customers to begin paving the way for future career changes.

Cons

There is more pressure on quotas than providing quality customer service. Also, there is no room/time in the company-mandated sales process for customer education. They just want their reps to sell an item and send the customer out the door. T-Mobile fails to realize that there is a huge technology gap in our society and not everyone is familiar with mobile technology. Computer systems are also terrible. Systems should not crash for HOURS on launch dates. Get it together, T-Mobile.

Advice to Management

Don't let your District Manager dictate how you run your store. Yes, it's important to adhere to company policies, but don't let your bosses walk all over you. You can't rip sales out of your employees - you need to encourage and coach them along the way.

Other Employee Reviews for T-Mobile

1. "I understand what is required to work my way up."

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learned the industry while on the job and was able to leverage my existing skills to continue up the ladder. I didn't expect to simply roll up - so I seized every opportunity to grow - in and away from work.

Cons

Tech/Communications industries are always changing. It would not be advisable to work for any company if you do not adapt to change well.

Advice to Management

Keep looking out for the existing employees welfare when making decisions - we are shareholders too.

2. "RSM"

Current Employee - RSM in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - RSM in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on monthly bill, hire your own associates which enables you to enjoy who you work with

Cons

Disconnect between what's realistically feasible in the retail stores and required goals and actions. Upper leadership is constantly trying to come up with creative ways to "thank customers" for signing up that usually end up being awkward and a disruption of business. For example, requiring the staff to stop and clap every time a customer activates.

Advice to Management

When visiting a store put the phone and laptop away and truly observe and listen to interactions to get a real assessment of how the business is doing versus accepting the fluff given on conference calls and read outs. With the communication centered around "make it happen" direction versus coaching for new strategies there are a lot of customers being bundled into something without being fully informed.