TD Ameritrade - Little Free-Thinking Welcome - Stay in the Box!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade

"Little Free-Thinking Welcome - Stay in the Box!!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good pay (if you negotiate well at hire), and rarely did I have to work OT.

Cons

Like a lot of these reviews have said, middle management is a huge problem - and those above them may get a lot of the blame for encouraging this attitude with the rewarding of yes-men. I was actually told once that the new initiative I was working on would step on one of those middle manager's toes so I should stop. Many of us have many stories like this. You learn to just keep your mouth shut, toe the party line, do nothing outside the box, and look for another job if you'd like anything more from your career.

I'm sure there are good areas to work and good managers at this company, but in two positions in different areas of the organization I saw the same thing. Remember that this is a company with a history of massive layoffs, so the people in charge are the people who made it through, and so are often those who managed to toe the line and not cause any waves. These are the people in management.

Advice to Management

"Innovation" is more than just a word you can paint on the walls or hand out in flyers. So many associates are having their ideas suppressed every day. Though you say this isn't the case, we all have seen multiple people let go because they dared to speak up or challenge the status quo (or challenged "the wrong person").

Other Employee Reviews for TD Ameritrade

"I like the company but I am not good with big corporate culture"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Southfield, MI

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good solid company with an awesome trading platform. Management truly wants to help you succeed and will help whenever needed.

Cons

Sales quotas and commissions constantly a moving target. Drives me absolutely crazy when companies raise your sales quota, cut your commission and tells you they will replace you if you do not meet them. I am not motivated by this tactic but it is one that is commonly used in this industry. I finally had to get out and start my own company. I make 3 times the money with the same amount of stress but can take off whenever I want. (I hit the quotas btw but did not like the pressure from above, no different than any other brokerage though.)

Advice to Management

You guys know the numbers and the squeeze may work on most people but not on me. I hit all of my sales goals but every quarter they get raised and pay gets cut. I get it, I am a business owner but when you tell your team (most of which hit the #'s) that they can be replaced it makes some of them check out. You spent a bunch of money training me and I walked out, sorry.

2. "Very good Company to work"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and Flexibility . NIce work culture

Cons

Poor middle management thwarts growth

Advice to Management

Please be open with employers