TD Ameritrade - Great place to start sales career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade

"Great place to start sales career"

Pros

Competitive pay, good work/life balance, decent benefits

Cons

micromanagement, no room for growth other than manager of branch

Advice to Management

Let top producers do business the way they want

Other Employee Reviews for TD Ameritrade

"Overworked at an extremely stressful pace"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large number of clients who need help. They pay for educational endeavors that relate to your career!

Cons

No one cares about anyone else. Clients that you have worked very hard for can get reassigned or changed to other reps without notice. Cold, cut-throat environment. I have no idea why some reviews suggest there is a good work/life balance. My experience was working occasional weekends and 12 hour week days, while getting in trouble if ever leaving before 6 PM. Absolutely horrible CRM and other tools. Technology is a joke.

Advice to Management

Most ICs are afraid to admit to upper management how they really feel because they fear reprisals. Do exit interviews. (Especially to those who were consistent top-performers.)

"Undervalued for the work you do"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revenue Neutral investment products to offer clients

Cons

Targets and goals go up every year, yet pay stays the same. you are a slave to this company. Glorified referral source. As a professional Financial Advisor (IC) you have zero ability to actually advise clients. its all about how can you refer them to another "bucket" or "widget" to meet your sales goal. At the end of the day its not about retaining talented people, its about churn and burn and company sees very little value in individual employees. if you leave they will just find another struggling young broker from Merrill, Smith Barney, Ed Jones etc... and give them salary and put them through the wringer for next 2-3 years. what do clients get? a new "advisor" every 2-3 years. I would think the company would value having retention of "advisors" so their clients would have a better experience. oh well, good place to get your bearings and some added experience, but dont stick around too long... you'll get trapped!

Advice to Management

start to value what the people are doing to help your company grow. Consider paying recurring revenue on the enormous book of advisory business we produce... not only do we have to find it and close it, we are the ones that are left to help the clients on an ongoing basis while the company sits back and takes all the advisory fee income! In the end, I dont think things will ever change, too stubborn and uneducated to make intelligent decisions.