Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

good

May 31, 2021 - Engineer in Oregon City, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Life work balance is very good

Cons

Salary is a little low

Be the first to find this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Global excellent company

May 16, 2021 - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

keep high market share in growing industry

Cons

must continue to meet tough customer requirements

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Don't waste your time

Jul 15, 2021 - Quality Rater
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can work as and when you want.

Cons

Where do I start? First off, the pay is lousy given the company's expectations. You're going to make roughly $10-$12/hr before taxes. You'll be a contractor, thus responsible for your own taxes. If this was some mindless data entry job, that would be fair, but that is not the case. Before you can even start rating and getting paid, you'll need to thoroughly read a manual that is 250 pages long. You'll then take an exam that you need to pass with 80% to continue. At this point, you've already invested several hours that you don't get paid for. Once you start rating, you get paid on a per-task basis. There is a published rate that you will be paid that varies by the type of task you are doing. Each task is also assigned a duration in which they expect it can be completed. You're not really measured against the time - you can take as long as you want - but your rate of pay obviously goes down if you are slower. For example, if a task is rated at $0.50 and estimated time is 3 minutes, that's $10/hr. If the task actually takes you 4 minutes to do, on average, then you're down to making $7.50/hr In many instances, I find that the time assigned to these tasks is inadequate FOR THE QUALITY THEY EXPECT. If you don't meet their quality expectations, they'll suspend your account, send you some condescending emails that essentially tell you that you suck and need to do better or you'll be dropped from the program. You then sometimes have to review video tutorials, read more documentation, and take another test to be re-admitted to the program, which again is all on your time (i.e. you aren't getting paid for that). I will add that the ratings are often times very subjective. Yes, they give you guidelines, and sometimes there are hard-and-fast rules, but in many instances there are not. You are expected to make your own judgments, but then if they don't agree with your assessment, it counts against you, your account can be suspended, and so on. So to sum it up, if you take the time to provide the level of quality necessary to avoid being harassed by their quality team, your earnings will probably drop down to $7-$8/hr before taxes. If you take the amount of time prescribed for each task and simply take a "best efforts in the time allotted," you'll probably eventually be dropped, or you'll just get tired of the b.s. and quit. I'm still rating for them at the present time, but strongly considering quitting. I would relish sending that email to their quality team, so that I could tell them exactly where they can stuff their 250-page guidelines that I'm expected to memorize, for what basically amounts to minimum wage pay. I recommend looking elsewhere.

1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about TELUS.