THINK Together - !Too much work with crappy pay! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for THINK Together

"!Too much work with crappy pay!"

Current Employee - Program Leader in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Program Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Definitely working with the kids, if you like kids and have a genuine ability to want to help them
-Hands on experience of having your own class

Cons

-The amount of work to do in 3 hours, yes THREE hours!
-NO RAISES! We should NOT be getting paid the same amount as a new hire after working there for more than 2 years, get real!
-Don't expect to getting any awards for being in the front line and working your butt off
-Lack of respect from QAC's, they just think business, not what's best for the kids
-Kids are not having fun when we're turning an after school program into a MILITARY base, let them be kids, we know how to get them in line and get their attention already
-Program is turning into a school rather than a fun program, might as well start giving the kids homework
-Take home work when you're "off the clock"
-Don't expect to leave during your scheduled time, unless visitors are there because its "illegal".
-Your 15 minute "prep time" is used catching up or fixing things from days before, get used to it
- VEEERRRYYYYY high expectations! We're not miracle works, don't expect us to be perfect when we have assessments, those just pressure us even more to be so militant
-No benefits, no bonuses, sorry

Advice to Management

Your "ideas" of helping students and bettering them are great, but we don't have time for that. Give us more hours, higher pay, and then your mission might be possible. Some of your workers are also getting a power high and not respecting us the way we should be. Get off your cloud. Us program leaders are the ones executing this program, NOT the QAC, NOT the SC'S, NOT anyone! If we're doing a great job, let us know. We need praises and raises. We have families that we need to take care of too, remember that.

Other Employee Reviews for THINK Together

"Your just a worker"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Whittier, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Job if you want to become a teacher. Real hands on. Rewarding teaching kids.not a laid back job. Around 25 kids you get to manage on your own.

Cons

They sometimes don't practice what they preach. They say to do one thing but contradicts another. Hiring from within is horrible. They promise you and tell you it's easy but it's not. You have a set schedule time which is most of afternoons so if have classes at there times forget it. They don't care if you've been there for 1 year or 10. They do start u off with 11 dollars but dont expect to get raises. Plus the cut hours like crazy. Started of doing around 20-23 hours a week. They cut down so much they made sure you could not go over 18.75 a week...

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

2. "Rewarding experience that allows for growth to those that focus on delivering quality work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

At the core of THINK Together, it is filled with individuals who really want to see students succeed in the classroom and in life. As with any company, there are always those that do not hold true to those values, but overall, most that come to work for this company have a heart for kids and have a passion and desire to be the best they can be with the gifts and talents they have. As with most non-profits, money and resources at times can be limited but hard work, determination, passion and intentional systems for success always outweigh monetary resources. In the region that I work in, teamwork is a priority and a friendly work environment is consistent.

Cons

As with most non-profits, compensation is always going to be less than you would receive for the same amount of work you would do out in the public sector. I would hope that most coming in for an interview would understand that and be desiring to work for the company first and foremost because you agree and support the vision and mission of that non-profit.

Advice to Management

The difficulty for any organization as they grow rapidly is to discover the balance of investment into senior leadership/support mecahanisms and staff that actually deliver the product. Both are highly important to continue that growth and to ensure a quality product. As the organization continues to grow, be willing to reevaluate periodically which of those two are a little behind or lower funded and fix the gap. Every ground-level staff and middle manager wants a highly resourced company to work for that is stable and has the ability to move them forward in their life endeavors and senior leadership that is competent and has character. Likewise, every senior leader wants a middle manager and ground level staff that is happy, has a sense of belonging, and feels that there is a future for them in the company if they apply themselves and work hard. That type of employee is worth their weight in gold. That balance is hard to find at times and is a normal growing pain for any company. Keep up the great work, stay true to the core value of the company, seek feedback, and always be willing to rework the systems if they are not helping you accomplish the vision. Doing those things will allow you to continue as one of the best out there.