TIAA - Financial Analyst | Glassdoor

"Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with TIAA CREF for 14 months. In the time I've been here, I've seen a Senior get promoted to a Manager and a Financial Analyst 2 get promoted to a Senior. I have also seen 4 people in my area apply for and get jobs in other, non-related, areas of the company. So I would say that career advancement, in whatever form you're thinking of, is available.

My starting salary was $62k, which is competitive in the marketplace. There is a great benefits package, including great insurance options, FSA Childcare Reimursement, Health Care Savings, 5% automatic infusion into employees 401k plan, and an additional matching of 3% more for a total of 8% annually contributed by the employer. There is an onsite wellness center with doctors and nurses, which only cost $5.00 to visit. TIAA will pay for your 1st Master's Degree as long as it supports the line of work you're in. There are many more benefits as well.

Different groups have different abilities to work from home. My group is very flexible and I work from home at least two days every week. However, my next door cube mate at work is in a different group/area, and they are approved to work from home no more than once a month, and even then the management frowns upon it. So different areas are different, and I guess the individual experience all depends on the area.

Also, it is very easy to talk to and deal with management. It is more of a friendly co-worker relationship than a hierarchy that is unreachable by the entry level workers. From the bottom to the top, everyone is very approachable and friendly. Very nice atmosphere.

Overall, I would say that I am very pleased at TIAA. I feel like I am well compensated, have a good work life balance, the opportunity for advancement, etc.

Cons

The only con I have seen so far is that when I was hired, I was told that the yearly bonus was typically 10-20% of salary. However, when my first bonus year rolled around, my bonus was around 5%. I was told that new employees who were not there an entire year were treated differently when allocating the bonus pool, and that the next year should be on track with what I was told when I interviewed.

Other Employee Reviews for TIAA

"Talented people buried by talentless people"

Former Contractor - Prefer Not to Say in Charlotte, NC
    Former Contractor - Prefer Not to Say in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

compensation, project challenges, talented project contributors

Cons

An endless meeting culture. Nepotism/cronyism abounds, workstreams run in silos with departmental turf mindset & little interdepartmental synergy, poor accountability/aptitude at middle management layer showing high resistance to positive/structural change. Promotion based on spoils vs. merit. Managers more concerned about internal political balance than good process, execution, and results. Quote: "We predetermined that this initiative (x) was not going to succeed, so we made sure that our effort reflected our determination." Onboarding/Offboarding is atrocious. Because of the excellent benefits and 401k match, folks become very aggressive when their ideas are challenged.

Advice to Management

Cull about 75% of all middle managers and staff heavy with producers in a more lateral organization where interdepartmental contributors come into projects as peers.

The current management tier makes rash and immature decisions based on personal or clique advantage rather than company/departmental health resulting in a highly political work environment. Entrenched stalwarts get away with myriad unprofessional gaffes and failures while diligent contributors are kept down or overlooked for promotion.

Managers gain strength by purging foward thinking contributors (people who see through the smoke and mirrors) and by hiring their cronies from former employers to solidify their control and ensure their longevity. Upsetting this balance with honest appraisals can bring disastrous consequences for more conscientious and optimistic subordinates. Your good ideas will be stolen and repackaged. Just as you begin to make progress, you will be derailed or retracked.

Cronyism wins over merit at TIAA-CREF.

In hindsight I would have fared better with a practiced golf-clap and fake smile instead of applying my hard-won career skills and insights.

"Been wanting to write this for sometime"

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were good. The option to telecommute.
    Getting out of there was the best thing that ever happened to me in my career.
    Required to write unnecessary documentation but needless to say, I came out on top for having to do so. Took what I learned to help other companies. So, I want to give a big thanks to the person who actually helped me and thought they were hurting me.

Cons

- Managers do not listen to their team members
    - Team leads can yell and scream at Team members and Business users
    and Managers do nothing about it.
    - Lots of backstabbing of others, very two faced atmosphere.
    - Had to learn new applications with no training.
    - Cursing and yelling is common place for Team leaders
    - The outsourced consultants were treated poorly
    - Overall, the worse place I have ever been employed in my 20 years of IT.

Advice to Management

Retire the old timers and allow some new ideas and people be part of your horrible management team.