TIAA - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager, Investment Services in New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager, Investment Services in New York, NY

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay for performance culture. Solid Vision 2020 plan. Great Operations Management team.

Cons

A little behind on technology and product offerings but catching up on both.

Other Employee Reviews for TIAA

1. "A very Good Learning Experience"

Current Intern - IT Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Current Intern - IT Intern in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a fresher in the industry, got to work with Experienced Developers. The Work environment is really good and helpful for a fresher like me. Got to work on totally new technologies, in which I never had experience working with. This experience added a lot to my profile.

Cons

There are no negative things to mention about this company.

"Former Corporate Training Contractor"

Former Contractor - Corporate Training Support in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Corporate Training Support in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked as a contractor supporting the IT needs of the Corporate Training Dep't for more than eight years. I stayed for two reasons: 1. the culture at TIAA-CREF was very cooperative, and 2. the economy crumbled while I was there (which limited the chances of getting a better job). I liked my coworkers, and remain friends with many of them to this day. As a contractor, the pay was acceptable/liveable.

Cons

As a contractor, the carrot of getting hired as a FTE (full-time employee) was dangled in front of me as an incentive to stay. My first manager at TIAA-CREF genuinely tried to get the budget to hire me, but other managers' needs always took priority.

My original contract was with an agency that I truly enjoyed working for. They treated their assigned workers as assets and humans. Mid-way through my time there, many contractors were lumped together and assigned to Keane as our agency. I wouldn't recommend working through Keane; they treat their employees as capital, giving us explicit messages that we should be willing to relocate to any place they want in order to keep our employment going after an assignment ends.

TIAA-CREF is really a mediocre place for a contractor. If it weren't for the great people there, and the fact that the economy tanked while I worked there, I wouldn't have stayed. They use a lot of contractors, and the only reason they do so is to make their employment budget look good, since the contractors are paid through a different budget than FTEs. In my case, there was obviously a compelling need to hire me, since they kept me on for eight years (and I wasn't the only contractor there for years at a time). But the senior management doesn't see the fallacy of this strategy. Finally, someone in management decided that I was unnecessary because I was on a small, low-profile team. And, in talking to my former team-lead, my work is now going undone.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great people, but lose the contractor mentality. When you lose long term contractors, you lose the knowledge and experience that we've accumulated over years of working there.