TIAA - Totally dysfunctional - it is like the wild wild west anything goes. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TIAA

"Totally dysfunctional - it is like the wild wild west anything goes."

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much to say here other than, yes it is in New York and my manager lives on the opposite coast. So I'm to a large extent shielded from bullying tactics and childish behavior.

Cons

Like most of the reviewers have mentioned.

1. Totally bad management and leadership that is only getting worse.
2. Passive aggressive, abusive leaders.
3. People who are ethical, honest, meritorious, hard working, humble, work with integrity do not fit in with CREF culture and they will be targeted, psychologically abused for a year or so and then will be fired. I have now seen this cycle for the past 5 years.
4. Great analysts - smart, humble, hardworking, ethical people are let go every year. So the resultant pool gets worse by the year.
4. Middle management is full of bullies, so people who have no ethics, integrity and are brash and dumb will be promoted. It is a self-fulfilling, reinforcing cycle.
5. If you are a person that are a minority, or don't belong to the cliques then you are in big trouble.
6. This is a pattern in every department. It is not isolated to one department. HR, IT all filled with mediocrity and people enduring management abuse, torture and humiliation.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste my breath on management. But for those analysts that went through or going through manager's contempt and psychological abuse and humiliation, all I want to say is I'm praying for you and hope God will give you the strength to withstand this. Obviously you are a lot stronger to endure that.

Don't worry about those abusers, they will have to answer to a higher power.

Other Employee Reviews for TIAA

"Good for a job, horrible for a career"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Positive mission, good to clients

Cons

You won't be promoted or developed.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring all management from the outside.

"WORST PLACE TO WORK AS A SYSTEMS ADMIN!"

Current Contractor - Senior Systems Administrator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Contractor - Senior Systems Administrator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome bathroom to get away from micro managers

Cons

Team lead and the Manager for the server operations team! The team lead is a huge micro manager. You leave to get coffee, she wants to know about it. She stalks you on Office Communicator and if you are heaven forbid "Away" for even 5 minutes she comes to your desk to find out "why you were away" and then she follows up with "why wasnt I notified". She will ask you to work overtime WITHOUT compensation. She'll continuously say "DO IT FOR THE TEAM" and if you don't you get a terrible review.

What makes matters worse is the manager! He's only the manager on paper. In reality, lets the team lead do all the managerial work. He will NEVER have time for contractors and contractors ARE NEVER INVOLVED with ANY meeting. He expects you to follow the team leads instructions ALL THE TIME and if you have a question he'll always say "Go talk to to the team lead" He's a terrible manager WHO CAN'T manage his team!

Advice to Management

Nothing ... its hopeless