TIAA - Company has not managed growth, technology is lacking, and politics at the top are distracting and unproductive. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TIAA

"Company has not managed growth, technology is lacking, and politics at the top are distracting and unproductive."

Current Employee - Investment Process and Ops in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Investment Process and Ops in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pension plan (3 years to be fully vested though), paid time off, tuition reimbursement, life insurance coverage, health care is ok

Cons

Technology is not current (running Office 2003 and Internet Explorer 8 in 2014). Every system is a band-aid for an inadequate system, and none of the systems integrate with one another. Salary bands for positions are not disclosed, so you never know where you stand in regard to how much you should be paid. There is a large discrepancy between bonuses. It is a mystery as to how bonuses are determined. Bonuses (as a % of salary) range from 10% to over 20% for same position, same performance. Basically, it depends on who likes you, or who doesn't. Major politics at the very top trickles down to Senior level management and beyond, making it an uncomfortable environment, not to mention unproductive. The decision makers are often misinformed, or frankly not knowledgeable of the subject in which they are making decisions on. Too many moving parts, too many hands in the bucket, and no congruency between departments make for inefficient processes and workflows. Constant reorg and restacking, with no transparency as to why, leaving most employees in the dark. No clear direction of the firm.

Advice to Management

Instead of throwing heads at problems or wasting money on band-aids, invest in robust technology. Provide better training for the sales force, recognize the value of a strong operations and support staff, and manage growth by properly allocating resources. Disclose to employees their salary band. Develop a fair compensation/bonus structure. Stop with the politics and pointing fingers at one another.

Other Employee Reviews for TIAA

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really care about their employees here. When we work 30 min lunches our department provides us with lunch. Most places do this but here they go all out. They even provide dessert which really boosts morale in my opinion. Our company really cares about their client's too. We go above and beyond every day to help them with their needs.

Coolest part is that our CEO really cares. He often walks the floor when he visits our office and talks to everyone.

Cons

Some of our systems are a little old and we don't have as many features or new technology as our competition but we are in the process of major overhauls to get us up to date.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "CERT"

Pros

Great benefits for full-time employees

Cons

They don't hire full-time employees most are contract employees