TNTP Teaching Fellows - Teaching Fellow | Glassdoor

"Teaching Fellow"

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to start teaching right away.

Cons

They bombard you with extra work. Being a first year teacher is stressful, but to have them load you up with additional work adds to the stress level. They advertise as free but you really have to take out a loan and pay $6k+ then after you complete the program you get Americorp money. What they do not tell you is that if you work at a title 1 funded school you can get Americorp money either way. The only reason I am jumping through so many hoops for them is because I already paid the 6k and if I don't do what they want I won't pass the program and I lose my Americorp money.

Advice to Management

Give your fellows resources, don't just add to their workload. Be upfront about the cost, don't use the Americorp as a carrot to get what you want from the fellows. Many fellows feel this way but are afraid to say it, in fear of getting kicked out and losing out on the Americorp money.

Other Employee Reviews for TNTP Teaching Fellows

"Excellent place to hone skills necessary for the classroom!"

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Skills were clearly modeled for me and I got a lot of coaching to make sure I understood "what to do"
    - Skills I learned at NTF training have paid off in my classroom and impressed my principal
    - My kids, nothing beats working in education!

Cons

- Fast pace!
    - Nerve racking finding a job over the summer (this worked out)
    - A lot of hours

Advice to Management

Keep working to share feedback, this was the most helpful part of all training

"Choosing Teaching Fellows and Making the Adjustment....simple tips"

Current Employee - Corps Member in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Shreveport, LA

Pros

This job is for people who want to be educators, but do not have the formal training such as a Master of Arts degree in Education. During the Summer Cohort, you will be given the tools to succeed in the classroom. The Summer Cohort is meant to impart 6-8 weeks of training and experience in a classroom setting that normally takes two years to accomplish. You must be passionate about your subject area and have the ability to be flexible and relate to students and their parents in all settings both in and out of the classroom. The ability to work in groups is very important.

Cons

Time....you must be truly committed and be a people person. No whiners, no grumpy people allowed. During the Summer Cohort, you are working with a group of people who will be your backbone throughout the next year or so. Activities are planned so that you can interact with these people...participation is strongly encouraged. If you are a single parent, then I strongly suggest that you develop a network amongst the people you are training with. This will be key to your child's adjustment and success as well as your own success because you will have established a great support group. The single members definitely had an advantage when it came to making lifestyle adjustments, but parents probably had the advantage when it came to making the transition from cohort to classroom.
    Again... there is a huge time commitment, you will be expected to attend classes after the classroom so you must have a plan in place for outside time commitments such as soccer practice, dinner, and bedtimes. This job is not for the unorganized.

Advice to Management

A more comprehensive list of resources for cohort members moving in from out of town would have been helpful. The cohort needs to be more balanced towards members with spouses or families.