TOMS - One of the best companies that is true to their mission and change millions of lives. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TOMS

"One of the best companies that is true to their mission and change millions of lives."

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a welcoming environment. They don't discriminate against sexual orientation, race, or religion. They truly value you as a human being and treat you as such instead of a number. They send you on an all expense paid trip to a third world country to give shoes to those in need. They change peoples lives and touch hearts. They bring hope to our planet.

Cons

The only thing I would say is that I wish they had another location close by in Orwnge county that I could work for.

Advice to Management

Periodically, reach out to every individual, not just the leads, and seek opportunities of growth or advice.

Other Employee Reviews for TOMS

"No company wide business goals and very unclear path moving forward, company is for sale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- they truly give, and do care to improve the quality of their giving
    - the majority of the company is genuinely kind and considerate
    - they have workout classes

Cons

- there are no clear company goals- in reality the executive team wants to increase sales, which is fine for any business but due to the giving aspect of the business model it is a tricky position, as increasing their bottom dollar makes the business seem insincere about their commitment to giving
    - - there is no transparency with their numbers. only a select few individuals know the profit margins and revenue, as a result the majority of the company is working blindly on good faith, which in truth seems to be running out
    - The founder is selling the business, which is absolutely fine if that’s what’s best for the state of the business. The problem here is how the executive team handled this news. They did not prep any of the staff, who found out through the Financial Times, and during a meeting to clear up the news, the staff was told that ultimately we are “a family”. This statement is condescending and insulting, we are a business and hiding behind the façade of a movement or family is taking away the little credibility they have left.
    - HR does not communicate anything- they talk, but nothing is ever said, no information is ever revealed, instead individuals leave feeling agitated and unfulfilled

Advice to Management

- HR needs to improve their communication,
    - management needs to set goals
    - they need to hire management who have experience managing
    - Instead of establishing company wide values, establish company goals.

"Focus is on making money"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TOMS hires really smart people. Many are over-qualified and experienced for the roles they are in because TOMS is in a position to get their pick of employees.

The office is casual - you'll find some dogs around the office and fun happy hours.

Cons

I joined TOMS because I wanted to have positive social impact and I thought that was the goal of the company. Since joining I realize that money seems to be more important than mission and I'm disappointed.

Senior leadership is going in multiple directions and comes across as more interested in hitting numbers to make their bonus then in serving people well (both through TOMS giving and to TOMS own employees).

A couple months ago they had a large layoff due to low sales. Instead of holding senior leadership accountable, they laid-off some of the most experienced employees. They also laid off a number of the oldest employees - the ones who sacrificed to actually build the brand and didn't come for the money. It was at this moment where those of us left realized we could all be easily tossed aside. Dozens of experienced people have left since then and most of the rest of us are looking.

If you are looking for a good name to put on the resume, take a job here. If you are looking for personal growth, there are little opportunities for growth. If you are looking to work for a brand that makes a difference - there are so many more to look into.

Advice to Management

TOMS has become arrogant. Go back to the core of the initial mission. Don't make decisions that hurt communities for paychecks. This is being seen my TOMS customers and they are making other choices. TOMS built something great, stop making short-sighted decisions that denigrate the long-term vision and brand.

Invest in your people. People are already over-qualified for the work they are doing. When a new job opens (now that's happening a lot with so many people quitting), instead of hiring someone from the outside who will be over-qualified, promote someone. Some departments promote, but others never promote. If we feel like the only way we can grow is to leave, we will. And this costs you a lot of money and is bad for customer relationships.