TSG Solutions - Good job for those not seeking too much career-wise | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for TSG Solutions

"Good job for those not seeking too much career-wise"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time

Pros

Travel opportunity for me was a big PRO since I was single/unmarried at the time. The memories and experiences out in the field (both on the job and off the the job) are priceless if that's your sort of thing. Glaciers in Alaska, tropical Hawaii, exotic European destinations, you name it.

The work is super easy. To be honest, I'm surprised they pay even $16-$18 because the work is so easy a caveman can do it.

The culture is very casual, as are most employees' personalities, even though some times they try to pretend like they're bigger than they are. People have a sense of humor, and usually it's easy to get along with people although the maturity level in general is relatively low. Not necessarily a bad thing - but be warned if you're an experienced professional or if you desire to be one day.

If you're sharp, the work there is so easy you can do more office work than the average person there in less than six hours, then spend the rest of your time learning something else that's actually good for your career on your own.

In the field, if you're sharp, you can do your work perhaps 50% faster than everyone else, and then relax, take a break, and then report how much higher your numbers are than everyone else when it's time to regroup.

Also, and this can be a pro or con depending how you look at it, most people there are just non-exempt hourly employees and are RESTRICTED to 8 hour days. It's practically a blue-collar type of structure. But, it does force you to stop working. :)

Cons

The job itself doesn't really provide you with any real technical skill. Many employees there think they have some technical skill because they get to touch a little HTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript, TSQL and if they're aggressive perhaps some C#. They'll boast that because they've "been exposed" to those types of things, they are qualified in those type of technologies.

This is simply because, technologically speaking, most people there are in this bubble and don't realize that the most advanced thing they do there is really, really rudimentary when viewed against the technology industry as a whole. Perhaps the only person who has real technical knowledge there is the Chief Software Architect who can design, write, and maintain the entire product line all on his own if he wanted to. I mean this both as a testament to the knowledge and skill of the CSA, but also a testament to the relative simplistic nature of their product line.

Their product is elegant in concept, but is mostly a bunch of hype. Most of the workforce, therefore, are practically glorified data entry clerks. They may take offense to this comment. But, again, this is because they think they're more prestigious than that due to the bubble they're in.

This job is only good for you if you're ok making an average $35k-$45k a year, not gaining any real tangible skill, and are happy simply getting SOME money and doing something that's intellectually simple.

If you are career minded, want to do something challenging, and continue to raise your game, this place should be a temporary stop - but consider stopping here for a little while, at least.

Many people that I know who left voluntarily (yes, they have had numerous layoffs) left because they realized all of the above and make way more money and do far more amazing work than they could ever have imagined.

For example, I left this company less than 5 years ago and now make more than three times what I made at that company, and my work and benefits is far more rewarding.

The only thing I miss is the travel. :)

Advice to Management

Not a ton of advice to management. I actually DON'T think you are a bunch bullsh**ers. Your business model is solid, and it's not like you trick employees into working there. You've created "take it or leave it" type of jobs for most employees, and I actually respect that. I also thank you for how hard you've worked to get contracts and keep people employed.

Perhaps I'd suggest that the officers of the company should take more time to interface with the grunts more often. Goes a long way IMHO.

Other Employee Reviews for TSG Solutions

"Enjoyable Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tech in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I'm a newer employee (about 1 year with TSG), I've been extremely pleased with my employment. I've worked at several other companies and I was always unhappy because I felt like I was just a number and never really a person. I never saw any room for growth and I was there to collect a paycheck. Here at TSG, I see room for growth. There are some truly awesome people working there. There is 1 very hard working manager that probably doesn't get enough credit for everything he does, but he has made a direct impact on the employees and holding them accountable and to very high standards. He is the role model I want to follow and I hope others see itas well. TSG has very talented people and I can see why they keep them around. Also, I really enjoy the new office location, as our old location wasn't the best and it was falling apart.

Cons

Some employees tend to stick around too long and don't respect the company or its staff. I wish management would get rid of them and make room for more people who want to be here and want to do the best they can. I would also list travel as a con (because it can be at times). When hired, I was told I may travel up to 3 months out of the year. Within a 1 year timeframe, I'm close to being over that mark and travel sometimes tends to be on holidays. My last small complaint is the fact that I wish we had more interaction with the heads of the company. They're just on the other side of the wall, but we never see them or hear from them.

Advice to Management

Get rid of employees who don't want to be here and do more to keep those that do!

"Expendable Workforce"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The service they provide (Digital map and panoramic building tours for first responders) is unique and may save lives. There is a lot of travel with paid flights and hotels. However...

Cons

This is not a company that seems interested in keeping its employees in the long run (The only exception being a small "Inner Circle.") Corporate heads promise company growth, new contracts and future opportunities. When millions were spent on upgraded offices and the acquisition of a new subsidiary, the claim seemed legit until nearly half the operations staff were laid off a month later. This division is the main workforce of the company. It wasn't the first time and most likely not the last.
    Actual work culture fairs no better. You are given very little feedback on your hard work until you do something wrong. Furthermore, what is right and wrong will differ greatly depending on who is looking. Micromanagement in spades.
    Intimidation also seems to be a favored method used by management with pep talks that steps on the borderline of verbal abuse. All in all, you never feel appreciated for your hard work, and the minor perks you do get seem to be there to keep you quiet until your inevitable axing.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.