Talbots - Good learning experience | Glassdoor

"Good learning experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time

Pros

Great culture, customer service is very important (which is empowering to employees), company stands behind their product and coworkers were wonderful.

This was a side job while I was in school so it was perfectly fine for the type of job I was looking for.

Cons

Store manager didn't really do anything, assistant managers did the work while she took the credit (especially when the DM was in town).

Doesn't seem to have a real system for employees who want to advance.

Advice to Management

When DM visits stores have them take time to talk to the employees one on one so we can answer honestly about whats going on in the store.

Employees are the backbone of stores, if they feel empowered they will work that much harder.

Other Employee Reviews for Talbots

"Talbot's is a great place to work"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Talbot's is the people. The Company also is open to feedback and applies it. My boss is supportive of my develpment and wants to see me grow. The Co.has recently added some new positions to support the field.

Cons

Changes in upper Management have been frequent. I feel this new exceutive team is the right team to move the Co.forward.

Advice to Management

Continue moving the company in a profitable direction. The streamlined focus has been very effective. It really shows you care about the people that face the customer daily. Please continue to evlove the product & marketing.

"Good culture but still unstable"

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The fact that the Company is developing opens the door for advancement.

Cons

Instability. In 3 years with the Company, I've worked under 2 SM's, 4 DM's, 2 RM's, 3 VP's and 3 CEO'S. This revolving door in leadership brings constant changes, leaving store teams with the feeling that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. This is the only place I've worked where there is more turnover in Corporate than there is in the stores.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your store-level leaders. We are the boots on the ground, hearing first hand feedback from our customers about product and promotion. That said, please also understand that Outlet is a separate entity from Retail.... different product, different promotions, different customer, different traffic, different trend. It is OKAY for Outlet to have different processes and operations. Instead Outlet is often trying to translate processes that aren't designed for us, feeling like an afterthought within the Company rather than a valued, thriving Division.

Lastly, across the board wage freezes are not good for morale. We've all accepted them for years because the Company was in the ICU... we understand that the Company is still recovering, but you should reward those associates who are leading the way toward a better financial future. It's much harder to swallow a wage freeze when we're driving double digit Company and looking at our store-level profitability. Reward tthe teams who are succeeding ... fyi: we don't believe for a minute that the wage freeze is being applied to everyone equally... are middle management and Corporate associates getting our raises again?