Talisman Energy - Terribly disappointing | Glassdoor

"Terribly disappointing"

Current Employee - Geoscientist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Geoscientist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Talisman Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay you..............almost comparably to other companies. The training quality and quantity depends on which part of the company you work in. I have received reasonably good training, but know others who have received very little. I have worked with many great people here, very few in management positions though. And those that were are no longer with the company.

Cons

Company is run by a group of incompetent executives that are simply waiting to cash in on a take over. Long term incentives are non existent which is why approximately 80% of the company employees have been there less than 4 years. Executives are all incredibly over paid, their salaries are in no way tied to performance as you can see from share price performance. Company has something like 70 to 80 executives, roughly the same number of geoscience staff. Corporate structure looks like an upside down triangle. Management expects staff to pinch every penny twice, while they freely throw money around on excessive and lavish travel and executive retreats to Banff. If shareholders were privy to the spending habits that go on they would be appalled. No career development opportunities as a geoscientist. Benefits are so bad you are better off opting out completely. There is a savings plan, however it involves putting some of your own money into Company stock that continues to underperform related to many of the things mentioned herein. So buy at $12 and sell at $10 is great if you need to write off capital gains, but not so great if you hope to make any money from it. The current management is grossly incompetent, and breeds further incompetence by promoting people that..........well lets just say they promote the real go getters (polite for backside kissers). Truly a relic attitude from all the ex-BP execs. This has created a culture that encourages entitled behaviour and breeds arrogant and incompetent leaders that very quickly climb the corporate ladder. Five rounds of layoffs in five years have obliterated technical staff head counts, however, the executive head count hasn't declined.

Advice to Management

None, they know all of this and choose to ignore it. A huge number of employees have told them this at exit interviews and HR just pass it off as a disgruntled employees. I would say I am disappointed, when I began it was the best place to work in town, now it's not even a shadow of it's former self. I have stayed with the hope of resurrecting the company to it's former glory, but this is not going to happen. The CEO has long ago announced his exit at the end of 2014 and quite clearly doesn't care what goes on now. A clear corporate strategy has been identified but no one follows it, and there are no consequences for it.

Other Employee Reviews for Talisman Energy

1. "Summer Student Experience"

Former Intern - Summer Student
    Former Intern - Summer Student

I worked at Talisman Energy as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had real work and responsibilities as a student intern; was respected and trusted. Everyone I worked with or spoke with at the company added to my experience and provided a useful piece in my learning / work experience!

I was impressed with the level of expertise and number of senior level specialists employed at the company, whom I was fortunate to work with and learn from during my summer with Talisman.

I would work here again.

Cons

The hierarchical structure is a nightmare! I have worked at several medium to large companies and the corporate structure at Talisman is quite deep and counter-intuitive; hard to find the “right” people to talk to when working on projects or problem solving.

Advice to Management

The management and company structure seems a bit inefficient. There are many "managers" and VPs, more than I have ever seen at another similar sized company.

"Toxic cesspool of incompetent posers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of one. Not one.

Cons

Perhaps with a new CEO they can turn the ship around. Wait and see before you consider spending any time at this company.

Advice to Management

Clean house. The Emperor and his merry men are on in fact wearing new clothes