Target - Work for Target, its pretty cool. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Work for Target, its pretty cool."

Current Employee - Electronics Specialist in Joplin, MO
Current Employee - Electronics Specialist in Joplin, MO

Pros

Awesome working conditions as far as store cleanliness, etc. Various tasks and ways of organizing the sales floor seem to make a lot of sense. Target has put a lot of time and development into making our processes some of the most efficient in the retail industry. Almost everyone who works here seems to be friendly and helpful. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. I would have to say that the organization of management makes more sense than someplace like wal-mart. I also like that senior management as a whole seem skilled at every job in the store. Not much else to say.

Cons

Bleh, lots of strange ways of doing things.

Advice to Management

None

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"Great company, great opportunity - it's all about what you make of it!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people. I've met many of my best friends in my 9 years at Target. Of course there are always a few 'less than stellar' people, but those are discovered and dealt with over time.
    The opportunities. I started as a cashier in college and made a career path for myself. I'm now in a salaried position where I feel that I personally make an impact through my work.
    The ethics. Committed to doing the 'right' thing.
    The fun. It's Target!! It's a culture in and of itself. I really believe that we're better than the competition in every way. I was offered a similar position with a competitor making much more and refused.

Cons

It's a large company and there will always be some degree of 'politics' to deal with.

Advice to Management

Have goals and aspirations but leave the agenda behind. Listen to the 'little people' they are your best view of what's really going on. Don't take yourself too seriously.

"Target should be greater than it is"

Current Employee - Group Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Target still has one of the best brand images in the country and in regards to marketing, retail strategy and private label development it is well deserved. The ideals Target espouses for its team members are good, even inspiring including valuing diversity, maintaining work/life balance and paying for performance. HR takes an active role in development. Talent management is proactive and frequent.

Cons

The good ideals listed above are completely overcome by an unfortunate focus on "collaboration" which is really a euphemism for endless meetings and decision paralysis. Employees hired for their leadership are not permitted to lead and those hired because of their accomplishments are not measured by results. Instead, careers are made and broken solely on the basis of perception management. If you want to be rewarded based on your results then you will be frustrated at Target.
    Target is also a decade behind on things like software development and project management practices and appears incapable of catching up. So if you're an IT professional coming from a consulting firm, be prepared to do waterfall development and manage your projects with outdated tools.

Advice to Management

The cultural problems Target has come from the "gravy days" of 20% growth and will be a drag on the company in a time that requires agility and speed. We need to measure people on results and empower leaders to do what they were hired to do. This requires giving people the room to fail and rewarding results and decision-making more than relationships.