Target - Great place to work, but difficult to maintain a good worklife balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Great place to work, but difficult to maintain a good worklife balance"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Garden Grove, CA
Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and developing leadership

Cons

Long hours and difficult to maintain a good worklife balance

Advice to Management

Continue motivating the team members. Recognition does more than you think.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

1. "Mindless labor, annoying hours"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Boulder, CO

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have graduated elementary school, you will find the job to be extremely easy. Management is open to questions.

Cons

Over the summer, the shifts were minimal and far between. But the second the school year started, it was a 40+ hour work week. And when I needed to change my work schedule so that I could attend classes, they refused to budge.

Advice to Management

I know back to school is a tough time of year, but you need to work on scheduling.

2. "Messed with my schedule constantly"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in La Mesa, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid above minimum wage $8.25 with "room for growth"

Sales Floor Associate-Soft Line position and cashiering were not that difficult.

Spend a lot of time on the floor. Helping people is very rewarding. Plenty of nice customers are walking around the floor. The cashiers and guest services get hassled much more often.

Overall not a bad place to work. If it wasn't for some of the managers and leads at this store, it would have been an incredible experience, and I would most likely still be working there. I would recommend going into your local Target and scope out the management before you apply. Most targets are very nice, I just happened to come across one of the not so good ones.

Cons

Used Walkie Talkies to communicate.

Had to talk to customers on the phone, even if you did not know about a product, you were left to figure it out on your own

HR said I had two 'No call, no show' absences, when I did not. I am a very responsible person and would never just not show up to work, or not have the AT LEAST called.

They changed my schedule over night and then said would ask "Why didn't you come in?"
    You were always on call to work a shift, and would be annoyed if you did not pick it up for them because they were struggling to find people. Hello, schedule correctly, and that wouldn't be an issue.

Hours were very inconsistent. Some weeks I worked 12 hrs, others I worked 32 hrs.

One lead in specific did not like that the store was adding people onto her "team" for Sales Floor Associates, and did not like the new people. She would often make sure that I had the most difficult job to do for the night, even if I wasn't trained for it.

Advice to Management

Choose your HR and scheduling team to be more efficient. Make sure they are flawless if you are going to leave your entire staff in the hands of these 1-3 people.

Also make sure your leads are unbiased and friendly to the entire staff.