Target - Team members are like family! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Target

"Team members are like family!"

Current Employee - Electronics/Sales Floor/Cashier/Backroom/Bike Assembly Team Member in Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, lots of differentiation in work if you seek it out. Team members at my store are fantastic, the managers are all very nice and reasonable to work with. Everyone has their favorite managers and what not, but I would say that everyone at my store is reasonable and I have no qualms with any of them. They do genuinely seem to care about you and will give you the benefit of the doubt if you have to call off for a shift (just don't make a habit of it).

Cons

Hours are not guaranteed and are very susceptible to cuts. During 4Q you can get almost as many hours as you can put your hands on but watch out for deep cuts after December. I have seen "over hiring" many times, where we simply have way too many people on the books for the amount of hours that the store has allotted. Pay raises for part time employees are not good.

Advice to Management

Try to get more people cross trained in more areas of the store, at least for me, that's why I have stayed at Target for 5 years, my job is never the same two days in a row.

Other Employee Reviews for Target

"Expects more, pays less."

Former Employee - Photo Lab Specialist in Shorewood, IL
    Former Employee - Photo Lab Specialist in Shorewood, IL

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job for a college student, able to work around your schedule. You can always pick up shifts from other people who don't want them or can't work those days.

Cons

For only getting paid so little, upper management expects so much from its "team members". Working in Photo Lab you are basically working 2 jobs: Photo & Guest Service constantly. If you have a GSTL who can't do his/her job properly, then you won't have a good shift. High turnover in employment, seen so many people come & go in my 4 years there, especially upper management. Weekend availability is always a must. Its hard to get time off with a lot of people requesting off, especially around holidays or vacation season.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize people who are actually doing their jobs. Lighten up a bit too.

2. "Great for what it is"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Chico, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The problem with any review on Target is that your experience is going to differ from store to store.

-Flexible schedule
    -Good benefits for a minimum wage job
    -Job security
    -Good experience for working your way through school (good resume builder I have come to find out)

Cons

-Corporate tries really hard to static a dynamic environment. Basically reason will spit in the face of your managers, but they wont care because corporate says to do it this way and only this way and all other ways are wrong. Very frustrating.

-Lifers who take their job way too seriously (especially the team leads)

Advice to Management

Give your ETLs and STLs more freedom in making business decisions. I've seen so many missed opportunities because of corporate trying to make every store operate exactly the same.